We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveller's cheques!!!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Traveller's cheques!!!

We are currently in Roatan -will post trip report when we get home. Finding that traveller's cheques are a bit of a problem that I didn't really anticipate. Specifically:

1. Infinity Bay will not cash them, nor will they allow you to settle up your tab with T. C. (eg, restaurant, bar charges, etc)

2. Most tour companies will not accept this form of payment (fishing, snorkel tours,Conchinos excursions, etc)

3. Gumbalimba will accept very reluctantly.

4. Maya key will accept.

5 Grocery stores will accept-but, give change in lmp.

6. Bananarama will not accept as payment for diving.

7. Anthony Key will accept for dolphin activities.

So, my advice is to find out if your room has a safe, and bring cash -unless you want to spend valuable time waiting in a line at the bank to cash your T.C. - speaking of which - hubby was sent from bank to bank trying to cash T.C.the Banco Atlantida on the 1-way street in Cohen hole (or in French Harbour) will cash $200 USD per person -(give you lmp). Not sure where you can get USD from, so keep your departure tax USD in a hidden away place so you don't spend it!

Have fun -we are!

Bodden Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Boat Tours
Roatan Trips &Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Roatan Custom Tours -- Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Private Tours, Day Trips
Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

I have been posting on the problems of Travers Checks for a while now. Presumably the locations listed took credit cards as payment.

When I receive Travelers Checks as payment all I can do with them is deposit them in my account and have the funds held for 40 days while the check clears. I suppose accepting then has a lot to do with cash flow management

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

We have the same problem with TCs...often the bank deems there is something wrong with the signature and then we're out of luck for payment. Departure tax can be paid with lempiras and/or dollars so no need to panic about USD.

Make sure your hotel has a safe, or pay when you arrive so you don't have the cash sitting around.

Cheers

Bonnie

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

I pack them as backpack but always ask in advance if they'll be accepted. Always ask, too, if there's a fee for their use and to use a credit card in addition to the foreign transaction fee your bank is apt to charge. Thanks for posting!

alberta
Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

As far as bringing cash, is it better (more convenient) to use lempiras or USD? I usually have found in other countries that getting the actual currency is more cost effective than paying the exchange on USD, but I haven't found any information on what works best in Roatan.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

I prefer to use the local currency wherever I travel and on Roatán we've felt we paid less for goods and services when using lempiras.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

I take USD down, get Lemp back in change and go from there. It may be one gets a better price when using Lemp but the differences is not so much if you add it the amount of cost to get the Lemp to begin with.

Travelers checks have always been less the useless on the Island.

Anywhere else on the planet I use an ATM card with zero fees to get local notes... The ATMs on Roatan are far from reliable.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

TC's are pretty much useless the world around. You get good exchange for the $US because the exchange rate to the lempira fluctuates very little,so every salesperson knows what rate to use. Not like Mexico where every vendor has their own version of the exchange rate. The only incident I've seen where using the $US is disadvantageous is on the water taxi, where the posted price of 50 lemps=$2.60 becomes $US3. If you are planning your holiday well in advance you prepay for the resort or diving by check to a US box, by wire transfer to a US bank, or by PayPal, or even by credit card. Then use the ATM;s for lempiras to buy the occasional beer or ice cream cone and credit cards to pay for dinner.

But TC's just present a headache for the merchant. I still think that Canadian visitors should push to have the looney accepted as the legal tender for Roatan since they probably represent the majority of tourists.

The only problem I've had with ATM's is that they sometimes run out of money on weekends.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 16:49
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

Now there's an idea dhauk... Roatan can use the loonie as legal tender and San Pedro, Belize can use the green back. lol Or even better Canada can invite Roatan to join our confederation...(not sure what the mainland would think) the Turks and Caicos asked to join twice but the government we had at the time said no (God only knows why...) It would be great to have an island like Roatan as part of Canada and I'm sure the Canadians who have visited here would welcome Roatan with open arms... Just a dream...

We bring down some US cash some lempiras a credit card and a debit card and have never had any trouble. Today we tried to get cash at the ATM at Coconut Tree but it was out of money. That happens, so if you are depending on ATM's plan ahead. We have used our credit card a fair bit and have never paid a surcharge.

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

I picked up a customer this afternoon and tried both ATMs at the airport and the one inside Eldon's. None worked. Probably a system problem.

Not sure I would want Roatan to be part of Canada, The snow would be hard on my garden ;-)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveller's cheques!!!

Interesting thought, though.

I read a historical account that said the British kind-of inherited the Bay Islands as a colony and in the mid-1800s tried to cede them back to the young country of Honduras. Honduras pretty much said "we're busy right now - you can keep them - until the British forced them to take the islands.

Perhaps if Canada just asks real nice, Canada could obtain a tropical protectorate!

Get answers to your questions about Roatan