We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay???

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay???

We usually vacation in Mexico and are looking for something different, less touristy, quiet and relaxing. An online pop-up attracted my curiosity to look into Roatan, from pictures online its hard to tell which part of the island would be a better fit. We're not divers but would be interested primarily in a nice beach and maybe some snorkeling, some hotels look like they are on the beach and some close by. Preferably looking for on the beach accommodations (beach not a marina), all-inclusive if available and flexible to travel btwn March-May; no kids so it doesn’t have to be ‘family friendly’. Fantasy Island doesn’t seem to have any vacancys, Palmetto Bay has high rating and Tranquilseas seems to get the most hits; considering others and open to suggestions, even a B&B as long as it has a private bath… nice beach, clean accommodations and good food and we’ll be fine! Thanks

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay???

You sound flexible so with enough research you'll find the right spot for you in Roatan... but you should get the notion of "All Inclusive" out of the game plan right now. There are NO All Inclusive's in Roatan even close to what you would get in Mexico. This has been discussed at length on this forum. Just sayin......we've tried to warn people before that insisted that they didn't need a fancy All Inclusive and then they went with All Inclusive expectations anyway and then realized that what we were saying was true. Roatan is much more so a "rent accommodations appropriate to your tastes and do a combo of getting groceries in/eating out". Just so you get my point of reference I've been to the Mayan Riviera 16 times because they do 5 star All Inclusive state of the art there. I've been to Roatan twice. If you want a nice beach to stay on West Bay beach is the nicest.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay???

PS...check out the flight prices as well...this is something you'll have to factor in as well....Roatan's not a cheap place to get to!!!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay???

thanks for the quick response...we already checked prices of flights as well as charter prices including air and hotel and know we are in the $2,000 price range for a weeks stay, Ill do a little more research an hone in on the West bay and may have some additional questions; although conveninet all-inclusive is not a must but not sure of availability/costs of restaurants, etc or if hotels/rentals allow you to BYOB on the property or beach.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay???

What airport are you flying out of? I looked at both PVD-RTB and LGA-RTB and flights alone were in the $700-$800 PP range unless you want to overnight in Houston. I did find a fare of $412 PP departing April 14, and returning April 21st that overnights in Houston. So really only 6 nights on Roatan.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay???

Hartford CT (BDL) to Atlanta

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay???

So your flying Delta, Check what type of plane , if its the normal md88 try to get a seet furthest to the back as they deplane from the back of the plane, they do not have stairs to fit the md88's.

Give up on AI's as previously mentioned and look for places that suit your needs. If a beachy type the West Bay will be great, If your a diver you may want to look into some of the dive resorts. You will have a hard time with anything more than 3 dives a day unless at a dedicated resort

Edited: 10 February 2012, 22:17
Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay???

From what im finding the West Bay area also has some nice restaurants... any suggestings for accommodations on the beach? Thanks again

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay???

I stay at Bananarama in West Bay, very basic accommodations but comfortable. On the beach, although not all rooms are on the beach. Beach chairs, good bartenders, decent bar food. West Bay is great for easy snorkeling access and an easy water taxi ride to West End. I concur on the notion of no AI, having just gotten back from Cozumel, the places advertised as AI in Roatan are not the same concept.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay???

Check out www.vrbo.com for places on West Bay Beach in Roatan, and you'll get a lot of different types of accomodations at very reasonable prices. Take my advice with a grain of salt, however, as I have never been to Roatan. We leave for our first trip there in about 2 weeks, and I'll report back after that time. We love to snorkel, and every place we've stayed, we've had to drive to a beach to snorkel. So, on this trip, we looked for a place right on a great snorkel area near the beach. We've rented a condo through VRBO at Infinity Bay for much less than the resort rate. As for the AI, there are a dozen great restaurants within a short walk or water taxi ride near the resort. They all have drink specials on certain nights, dinner specials on different nights, etc.....we'll find a few places we love, and "hang out". We won't eat out on all our meals, though, as we have a kitchen. Not talkin' gourmet, here, but locally fresh baked bread and island fruits make a great breakfast or lunch. That's plenty for us. Of course, in our younger days, we used to sail from island to island, so we're used to provisioning and cooking. This trip, we're going to be landlubbers ; )

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay???

My choice for West Bay is Infinity Bay. Renting a unit directly from an owner on vrbo. They have a nice casual beach restaurant there called the Palapa. Re: BYOB...we quite often took our own drinks from the condo down to the Palapa and sat at the tables there and ordered food and then sometimes ordered a beer from the bar as well . The servers don't care!!! It is a condo resort so you can bring your own booze anywhere, park yourself down and enjoy.