We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

Guatemala City...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

My boyfriend and I have been looking for nice, not so touristed beaches in Central America. We went to Belize (Caye Caulker and San Pedro) last year but we didn't find the beautiful clean beaches with crystalline water. Therefore, the search goes on! Now we want to go to Honduras, but we don't know if Utila or Roatan is best for what we're looking for. Neither of us dives (we've done snorkelling in Belize, which is amazing), so we are looking for other activities like horseback riding, hiking, etc. But most of all, we'd like to see a beautiful, crystalline water beaches (and not so touristed).

Plus, we're planing a kind of backpack trip, which means that we want to travel from island to island (or from caye to caye). The spirit of of discovery!

I'd really appreciate your suggestions, thanks!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

You may find some horseback riding, hiking but mostly as filler type thins to do or for cruise shippers, there is great snorkeling in many areas, There is not a lot of really nice white sandy beach like you may see pictures of in the vigrin Isles but the snorkeling is better and the best known and considered by many the nicest on Roatan is also all tourist development and most expensive place except for maybe the new golf club, , Island hopping is not really as easy as one would think, The main ferry system is not inter island and take you to the mainland where you get another ferry, fights can be the same process depending on just which route you go and their scheduling

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

For what you are looking for I would check out the Bocas Del Toro or San Blas archipelagos in Panama. Or maybe Little Corn Island in Nicaragua. Costa Rica also has some nice Carribean beaches around Cahuita and Puerto Viejo.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

Look at Placencia in Belize as there are a lot of mainland activities.

NJ
Level Contributor
256 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

On Roatan there is also great zip-lining, island cruises (snorkeling and day trip to Cayos Cochinos), parasailing (West Bay),horseback riding, banana boat ride...plenty to do on the island of Roatan besides diving. And of course the snorkeling is awesome and a must do.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

For those seeking clear water, great snorkeling & empty beaches I highly recommend you consider the utila cays & the southwest shore of utila. Check out sandy cay, the pineapple house, little cay, the coral house & the cabana at big rock. They maybe just what you're looking for.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

there's a very nice national Park campground at Cinnamon Bay on St John in the US Virgin Islands that might appeal to you. Other than that as you are finding out, the caribbean is extremely expensive to stay and to get around. Utila is cheaper even than Roatan but the Roatan beaches are better. I'm wondering if you are allowed to camp on Camp Bay Roatan. I guess you must be, or else why would they call it that.

I have to ask you, though, who is doing your research if you went to caye caulker looking for beach.

And I also have to ask why you don't consider learning to dive while you are in the best place in the hemisphere to learn and to dive. It's quick, cheap, easy, and it will change your life. For the better I promise.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

I agree with dhauk, caye caulker for beach was a slip up

Guatemala City...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I'm going to check out the Utila cays and the and southwest shore. Sandy cay can be rented? I just found out- what would you say about it? Is it nice to stay there a couple of nights?

I know dhauk, it was kind of impulsive our trip to Belize- so no wonder we didn't find the nice beaches we had in our imagination! Thanks for the suggestion, of course I want to learn how to dive, especially if I get the experience to see a sea turtle, whale sharks and the rest of the sea life!

Where would you all suggest to stay in Roatan? Maybe a place that's budget- friendly?

Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

Check out Camp Bay and Sandy Bay on Roatán - loads of photos and recommendations at the link below. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roatan or Utila for anything but diving?

everywhere i mentioned can be rented

Get answers to your questions about Roatan