We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paya Bay for Honeymoon

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Paya Bay for Honeymoon

We are booking a last minute honeymoon (we had to reschedule due to illness) and after lots of research have chosen to stay at Paya Bay Resort from July 21-28. Have we made a good decision? We are looking for lots of R&R and snorkeling! We are planning on renting a car one day to do some of the more touristy stuff (dolphin swim, iguana farm, some shopping, ect). The rest of the time we want to lay on the beach, swim and snorkel! We are also interested in a beginner scuba dive, horseback riding, a beach massage, and a trip to Pigeon Cay (all offered through the resort).

Do you think we will be happy with our resort choice? Also, do you think we should take advantage of the meals included option? It sounds like we will only have the ability to go elsewhere for food on the day we have the rental car, so we are seriously considering it. Lastly, is there anything not to miss on our day with the car?

Any and all opinions and information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

Emily (and Tom)

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,053 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

I guess you have read the reviews on TA. They seem to continue to be very good. But I have not yet seen it. It's isolation suggests that you will be eating your meals there, and an all-inclusive plan is generally a cheaper way to do that. But 3 full meals may be too much, so maybe they offer half-pension. I do encourage you to explore the rest of the island.

Austin
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

We were there last year, and it is a beautiful property although a little run down, things broken not fixed, pool was cloudy,beach area dirty not to mention there was NOBODY there, so if your looking for isolation its great, but not so much for dining and such, it is a pretty good ways back to civilization. And last but not least, the beach area was beautiful but the sea grass in the water was terrible, it was everywhere, also bugs were pretty bad there. But it is very, very secluded.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

Just wondering have you already booked it?? Or are you just double checking before you put your money down. It is isolated there for sure. You can pretty much count on R&R at most places in Roatan....unless you are held up near a noisy bar in West End???? I love Infinity Bay in West Bay...there no meal plan but you are in a good area to explore and lots of restaurants to go to and beach restaurant on site.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

We have not booked yet....we wanted to double check before we paid them!

Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

Paya Bay is nice but is a bit isolated. There is more going on in West End and West Bay. There are also several places in Sandy Bay that offer quiet but quick access to West Bay and West End and the amenities they offer!

John

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

Thank you for everyone's responses! Now I'm even more confused though....is isolation the only downside to the resort? I prefer isolation in most cases, we would mix in one day of more action by renting the car to drive around the island! My favorite vacation that I have been on was to Fiji where my mom and I stayed at a resort with only 5 bungalows...we had the whole island to ourselves and it was heaven! I don't want to miss out on great snorkeling, great views, or great beaches however....but would definitely prefer non-busy beaches. Any thoughts?!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

Well, I don't think West Bay is for you then....if you like the ambience, style, romance, intimate, "boutique" hotel vibe of Paya Bay ( and the like )....West Bay will not give you that......while it is a beautiful beach, with super snorkeling....quiet it is not.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,053 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

I'll try to help yopu feel better about your choice. Paya Bay as you know is small, like maybe 8 units or so. So that pretty much guarantees you some quiet. The reef crest there is very close to shore, maybe the closest of any resort on the island, like 100-150 yards out. So you don't even need a kayak to snorkel. Some of the north side areas, like Turquoise Bay and parts of Sandy Bay aren't actually "sandy" but have a surface like sanded concrete. But pictures of Paya Bay show that the sand appears deep and soft. There is a beach at Paya Bay but you have to walk to few yards to it, so that the view from your room is not of other people on the beach, thus more privacy in your room. You say that they offer you some interesting activities, but perhaps these are not actually at the resort. So I'd suggest that you get a car for the entire stay. I don't know if the car rental agencies are going to want to deliver a car that far east.

Having said all that, Roatan now offers a number of small resorts which give you issolation and quiet and some degree of luxury. So Paya Bay is not your only choice. But it does sound like it wwould meet your needs.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

I read through the reviews and they seemed pretty positive to me....it is secluded & a bit remote, but it sounds like you would like that, it is your honeymoon after all! Plus, if you have a car for some of it you could venture out.

I think it seems like a super spot for a honeymoon if one is seeking a quiet, off the beaten track, Robinson Crusoe with Linen type spot.....

Exactly the type of location we used to frequent before kids became teens and required more than mom, dad, sand & water....

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paya Bay for Honeymoon

I stayed at Paya Bay a few years back.... if you like isolation... its perfect. You almost fell like your staying at someones house and not a hotel... its fun.

I just remember that the road going in and out is kind of long, so you almost dont ever want to leave the resort to check out other stuff.

We enjoyed the trip.... but next time we stayed in the West Bay area to be able to eat at other places and enjoy the scene at west end...etc.