We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling alone to Roatan...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling alone to Roatan...

I am traveling alone to Roatan and want to know if anyone has any suggestions on places to go and things to do?

I would like to make some friends while there to do activities with. I also want to make sure it is safe. I am staying at a nice resort and have heard the staff is helpful.

Are there places to stay away from? Must dos?

Thanks!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling alone to Roatan...

obviously diving is the main attraction on roatan and i've always found that its a great way to meet people. some of the most interesting and well travelled people i've ever met have been on a dive boat, enjoy.

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling alone to Roatan...

you can check put west end for some interaction and for activities you can snorkel, parasail, dive, scooters, ziplines, etc

Have fun

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling alone to Roatan...

if you shy away from meeting people in bars, because they tend to be the kind of people you would meet in a bar, be sure you have other ways to meet people in nonthreatening situations. As Nuts suggests other people on dive boats share your love of the underwater world. And of course at a resort you will get to know people at the pool or at breakfast. So I'd be sure that your resort has these ways of encountering people. I would not suggest that you select a resort that does not offer at least one daily meal and/or has a pool or beach area. West End is small enough that you will continually re-meet people at the end of the day, so you can eat or drink as part of a group. If you are at an isolated resort you may tend to get, you know, isolated.

Morehead, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling alone to Roatan...

You might also like Bananarama Resort in West Bay. Seems like every time we were there, a lot was going on, and lots of people hanging out. They have a lot of free nightly activities too. West Bay is, in my opinion, prettier, if less busy, than West End. However, if you do end up in West End, at the very end of Half Moon Bay is Half Moon Resort, and that is a pretty, quiet and free spot of lounging on actual beach chairs, free, and free wifi if you ask nicely for the password.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling alone to Roatan...

I traveled to Roatan solo and I stayed at West Bay Lodge, it felt like I was staying with family . I am rather shy, but it was so comfortable there, I met and talked to people quite comfortably. Also the owners at West Bay Lodge are very helpful in helping you set up activities you would like to do.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 18:00
Morehead, Kentucky
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling alone to Roatan...

Agreed!

West Bay Lodge folks, whether you're staying there or not, were (and seem totally) good to check in with for info. Totally friendly and helpful.

7. Re: Traveling alone to Roatan...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Roatan