We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

Cambridge...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

Does anyone know if the fish are less in winter months than in summer months for beach snorkeling?

I went there 15 yrs ago in summer, and was completely awed by how many little creatures one could see above the very shallow, and beautiful, corals.

I have time in Jan 2013, want to go back and experience that again. But I worry that I'd be disappointed if it's known there'll be less fish in winter time.

Experienced travelers, please help.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 00:56
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

No difference

Cambridge...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

Awesome! Thank you.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

Fish don't migrate. :)

Well at least reef fish don't

B.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

No difference from summer to winter BUT There is difference in sea life compared to what it was 15 years ago, If your expecting the reef to be as it was 15 years ago you will be dissapointed but that can pretty much be said about any reef anywhere

Cambridge...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

Your comment is very helpful. About 15 years ago I went to that area by cruise. I snorkeled 3 times during that week-long trip, 2 out of small boats, 1 from a beach. I was most impressed by the beach place, but I failed to write down the name of the place. 10 years later, I felt a strong urge to see the place again. I thought it was Cozumel, I flew there for a week, I was disappointed. Then I thought it was Grand Cayman, I flew there for a week, disappointed again. I’m not saying these places are not good. It’s just because I was searching for a match to my memory. Roatan is the last island in that cruise route. I know it HAS to be IT. Also the descriptions and photos I found online seem to match my memories. For example, it’s only a short distance to the reef wall, which drops straight down several hundred feet. I remember I was sooo scared first time seeing the cliff all of a sudden, totally unexpected. Based on your opinion/experience, I better lower down my expectation on the amount of fish in order to enjoy my week there (already booked). But I can’t help feeling sad if it turns out to be true. Many thanks for sharing.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

"Also the descriptions and photos I found online seem to match my memories. For example, it’s only a short distance to the reef wall, which drops straight down several hundred feet. "

The reef surounding the Island drops off to hundreds and even thousands of feet so tht part of the description is not all that usefull, Fifteen tears ago West Bay was a nice beach , only a few homes, no cement, no condos, Mangroves for juveniles and more, these days it is nice looking south but looking North is Condos and cement . The huge volume of snorkelers has had a serious impact , Diving is still OK but much better further east

Cambridge...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

You meant Paya Bay? How about Pigion Cay - better chance to see as many fish as West Bay before? We'll stay in the West Bay/Half Moon Bay area. Is it easy to find a boat from there to Pigion Cay? Which way would you recommend - from Paya Bay or West Bay (we have a rental car, no problem to drive to Paya Bay)? Should we book the tour ahead of time if there are a lot of snorkelers?

Many thanks again for the advices.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

So you wil stay in the most touristy most xploited area and then travel to places not yet ruined by overwhelming tourism? Why not just sty up at Camp Bay, Paya Bay or the like rather than patronize those that have profited so much with ill reguard for the reef around them??

Cambridge...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

Made the booking before the weekend when I had more time to read about the island, and before you responded. The booking is non-refundable, unfortunately. Fortunately the island is not that big.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Less fish for beach snorkling in winter than in summer?

While I understand Manuel suggesting Camp Bay or Paya Bay I gather there has been so much over fishing on the east end the fish counts are down.

I have heard many people, who have spend a fair amount of time snorkeling various places about the island, say the bits of reef between West End and West Bay are amazing..I believe this to be cause this area is part of the Roatan Marine Park. From what I understand the Marine Park runs from the east end of Sandy Bay to the far end of West Bay.

I have heard more than one person say Pigeon Cay is not all that.

There is no need to book a snorkel trip before you get to the island.. believe me plenty of locals will be more than happy to help you out.

These pics were taken in West Bay and at Blue Channel (near West End) in March 2012. While there may be less fish than the last time you were on the island there are still plenty of fishes about.

http://the-housesitter.com/blog/?s=West+Bay+Reef+

http://the-housesitter.com/blog/?s=Blue+Channel