We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

One of the most frequently asked questions about Roatan by potential visitors is "How safe will I be?" Certainly reports about the high violent crime rate in Honduras trigger reasonable concerns for folks who have not experienced Roatan.

My hope is that people will take this opportunity to give their most helpful opinions and advice about safety of tourists on Roatan and that this topic will eventually be saved to the FAQs column on the right hand side of the page for Roatan.

Though a review of the forums over the past several years would result in a list of some well-publicized crime events, I'm hoping that without sweeping any real concerns under the rug, we also won't dwell too much on isolated anecdotes.

Let's try to have a respectful discussion of the range of opinions!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Roatan Webster Tours
Horseback Riding Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Caribbean Adventures Roatan
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
111. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

I believe this FAQ thread is of value to the TA community... and we've avoided a lot of the nonsense of hyperbole and rumor mongering...

and now I hope we can overcome an naked attempt at self-promotion of a self-serving self-published book by the owner of a notorious watercraft that dumped raw sewage into the marine preserve until it was stopped.

This thread is intended to be a reasonable discussion of the safety of travelers to Roatan... I'd really appreciate it if we could stick to the topic...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
112. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

My first comments on this thread were after my second visit to Roatan. I've now made a third visit to Roatan in March 2014 and had a wonderfully safe feeling holiday.

I will be returning to Roatan in 2015 for sure but I will definitely NOT be taking a side trip to "Goatan" .... and I will NOT be "going on" ....."The Outhouse Boat". My brain wouldn't even feel safe on that thing :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
113. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

I'm with you Sparky - that boat isn't my cup of tea - but I just have to be fair to the current owners. The original owner who was reportedly dumping raw sewage is not longer involved with the boat. The new owners have posted a Youtube of the septic company that reported pumps the tanks of the boat and they say they are meeting all the Marine Preserve requirements. I wouldn't want my comments about a past owner cast unfair aspersions on the new owners...

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
114. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

At the risk of taking us off the topic of safety-and we felt quite safe anywhere we went around West End but as anywhere else common sense must prevail- I have no idea what Goatan is or the Outhouse boat?? Can someone tell me?

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
115. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Since this is a FAQ thread and often used by visitors to the site, I'd like to bring it back to topic. Kathleen - a self-serving advertisement for a self-published book about one foreigner's experience prompted a group of responses, including mine. The offending post has been removed. I'll send you a PM to explain. In the meantime, let's get this thread back into the mode of being useful to people who actually are interested in the safety of visiting Roatan.

thanks, all!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
116. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Kathleen - I don't know the boat but Goatan was simply a typo of Roatan in a previous post that we're having a bit of fun with. :-)

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
117. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

No Hopeful, Goatan is the "Fictional" Island referred to in the previously mentioned book

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
118. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

"My first comments on this thread were after my second visit to Roatan. I've now made a third visit to Roatan in March 2014 and had a wonderfully safe feeling holiday."

Basically don't go to Coxen Hole or other local haunts at night or walk along the beach at night and you're unlikely to have an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Coxen Hole
Coxen Hole
Roatan, Honduras
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
119. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Aussie you can walk along the beach in West Bay at night quite safely. There are many tourists walking along the beach going to and from the various restaurants on the beach. Most restaurants close down around 10:00 pm or a little later but until then there are lots of people on the beach at night there and lights from the restaurants somewhat light the beach. Agreed you do not go to Coxen Hole/local haunts at night...period.

Mentioned in this post
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Coxen Hole
Coxen Hole
Roatan, Honduras
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
120. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

So we should probably wear sunscreen? :)