We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

One of the most frequently asked questions about Roatan by potential visitors is "How safe will I be?" Certainly reports about the high violent crime rate in Honduras trigger reasonable concerns for folks who have not experienced Roatan.

My hope is that people will take this opportunity to give their most helpful opinions and advice about safety of tourists on Roatan and that this topic will eventually be saved to the FAQs column on the right hand side of the page for Roatan.

Though a review of the forums over the past several years would result in a list of some well-publicized crime events, I'm hoping that without sweeping any real concerns under the rug, we also won't dwell too much on isolated anecdotes.

Let's try to have a respectful discussion of the range of opinions!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
121. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Okay, okay, okay. I actually bought the book, errrr.... pamphlet.

I did this because I learned a long time ago that if I wanted to have a complete collection of all writings, maps, charts and things Bay Islands, I had better buy them when they are first presented.

It's a story about Goatan, the North End, another island called Alitu (hmm, sounds familiar). He mashes up a lot of other island place names and businesses, but he did get the Police Chief's name correct. Methinks the cop is going to get a printed beating in the next few breath taking installments.

The mid-pamphlet change in typeface to italic was disconcerting and made it even harder to bother to keep reading.

I have gotten through the first 1/2 of it, largely they are daily memoranda or diary that he references along the lines of a "Captains Log". The writing style, if you will, is a bit wavering, so I can only guess that he occasionally refers to himself in the third person, is very Psych 101 type stuff. So far, it has been a tale of business and boat building along with a lot of drinking, drug use and revolving door girlfriends. Sounds like a good basis for reality.

I'll let y'all know how the second half reads when I find nothing else worth doing first. I'll be saving you the $15, unless you are OCD as I am with that compete Bay Islands book collection.

Stand by.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 20:06
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
38 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
122. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

I love Roatan. Never seen a problem anywhere - day or night. Everyone is there to enjoy themselves and that includes the locals.

Easton
1 post
Save Reply
123. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

I just returned from a Carnival cruise on the Conquest, which included Roatan on its itinerary. I was shaken as we passed a horrible accident in which a Conquest passenger was killed while riding a rental scooter. There is little regard for any traffic laws, if there are any. A cab passing another vehicle at the crest of a hill collided with the poor gentlemen on the scooter, who was skewered on a road side pole. The car was off the side of an embankment. Apparently the driver was fatally injured as well. There is no news regarding this on the Internet as yet. I did find this forum and thought it wise to comment here, that renting scooters in Roatan is a risky venture, as the roads are a free for all.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
124. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Easton, Here and on Cruise Critic there are dozens upon dozens of posts discouraging people from renting scooters and mentioning the lack of traffic laws. Unfortunately many never heed the warnings, add to that those with little to no experience on a motorcycle or scooter at home who then feel they are a great thing to try while away. I have a hundred thousand miles or so on a motorcycle in North America yet only ride two wheels offroad on Roatan. It is sad this happened but the dangers should be of no surprise to anyone that has done any research

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
Save Reply
125. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

I'm sorry to hear about the death. It's especially sad when a vacation ends with a loss. A couple of years ago, a neighbor's daughter wanted a "beach wedding," so the whole family planned a trip to Hawaii. The father passed away suddenly at the beach, the day before his daughter's wedding. Totally unexpected. Totally devastating. Sigh. The same can be said for traffic accidents.

Even those who live on the island (not tourists) will hesitate to ride a scooter. Local Hondurans will ride 2 wheelers, but for many expats, four wheels with lots of "protection" is challenging enough! The rules state no two males on one bike. You can have 1 woman and 1 man, or 2 women.

If you go to southeast Asia, you'll find 5 on a bike! Best mode of transportation for the whole family! Many countries say "No 3 adults." IF you see 3 adults, the "joke" is that the middle person is dead.......!

126. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 13:05
127. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 13:05
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
128. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Oh, I see that my 2 postings were deleted!

How funny!

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
736 reviews
Save Reply
129. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Planning a trip next February with a group of friends to Roatan. Just this morning one of them sent me this link, so now she's probably freaking out. I'm still going!

…state.gov/content/passports/english/alertsw…

Edited: 08 July 2014, 15:53
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
130. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

you should remind them that 80+ people were shot in chicago just this weekend