We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

One of the most frequently asked questions about Roatan by potential visitors is "How safe will I be?" Certainly reports about the high violent crime rate in Honduras trigger reasonable concerns for folks who have not experienced Roatan.

My hope is that people will take this opportunity to give their most helpful opinions and advice about safety of tourists on Roatan and that this topic will eventually be saved to the FAQs column on the right hand side of the page for Roatan.

Though a review of the forums over the past several years would result in a list of some well-publicized crime events, I'm hoping that without sweeping any real concerns under the rug, we also won't dwell too much on isolated anecdotes.

Let's try to have a respectful discussion of the range of opinions!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Seattle...
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

I was in Roatan March of 2013. Two blonde girls, staying in Fosters right over the beach. We were completely safe the entire 10 days we were there. No funny feelings. No feeling insecure. If anything, we made tons of friends both local and travelling. Now I'm going back to Roatan and I have no concern whatsoever regarding safety aside from the normal "Common Sense" issues that can be experienced ANYWHERE including my personal neighborhood.

The ONLY sidenote I'll add is that after walking quite a ways up the beach from West End towards West Bay (there was a storm preventing water taxis from running and we were trying to save money) we later were warned against theft in the area. Turns out as we were staring at the sand as we walked, we missed the HUGE signs hanging from the trees that said "walk this beach at your own risk" but then again, it was in Spanish, and we were fine! :)

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
92. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

A family member and I spent the night before a cruise in Miami in 2012 with no issues of crimes. My mom and her sis did the same last year with no issues. So, I don't know what specific crimes took place for the UK to post an advisory on , but okay, whatever

Mentioned in this post
Mechanicsburg...
1 post
Save Reply
93. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

I was on vacation in Roatan Feb 1 - 8, 2014 & stayed @ Coco View Resort. I used my credit card 2 times @ the resort & once @ the Roatan Airport gift shop. On Feb 20th, I received a call from the VISA fraud department. My credit card was compromised. Someone had tried to use the Visa # 7 times within a 9 minute period @ Diamond Bank PLC. I contacted the resort via email immediately & still have not received a response.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 13:20
Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
CoCo View Resort
CoCo View Resort
468 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
94. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 18:59
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
95. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

good to know. I will leave the credit cards on the ship when I'm in port and carry very little cash. We will be there at Mahogany bay for one day as a port stop in July. i too am wondering about the general safety in the area. I am hearing from so many people here at work etc. that I am crazy to be going to Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, and Costa Maya etc. because they are all so dangerous. Thoughts on this?

Mentioned in this post
Mahogany Bay
Mahogany Bay
60 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Belize
Belize
Central America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
702 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

"travelgirlm82" i'm pretty sure the crime rate in all the places you mentioned is lower than some u.s. cities. perhaps your co workers should stick to talking about places they know something about, like indiana dunes (although thats pretty close to the very dangerous gary, indiana). :)

Edited: 29 April 2014, 21:24
Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
849 posts
1 review
Save Reply
97. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Mahogany Bay is a neat little containerized happy valley type of experience, essentially a gated community of commerce and a simulated Roatan Honduras experience.

I still wouldn't use a credit card or leave an iPad on the counter, but otherwise the biggest fear would be getting sunburned or stubbing ones toe in the paver blocks.

People at work used to get all goofy when you said you were going to Honduras. They remembered the Central American fighting of 1982. (As in, "aren't you afraid of the gorillas... Guerrillas?) Since most of that generation has retired from the workplace, the current generation of co-workers had to pick some other fear to warn you about.

So, to answer your specific question, Mahogany Bay is pretty much-so a slightly cheaper version of Six Flags, complete with a carnival ride and your typical phony Caribbean Harley-Davidson shop that has never sold a motorcycle, just licensed clothing. You are free to buy all sorts of Guatemalan imports as well.

As far as Indiana, the fearsome free fire zone of Gary is a long way from Indianoplace just to visit Michael Jackson's home, but the real threat noted at the Indiana Dunes are the hollow pockets under the root structures of long dead trees. These holes are known to gobble up the likes of kids named Timmy, thus causing Lassie to go and get help.

There are no such holes at Mahogany Bay, thus no need for super smart Collie dogs.

Go, have fun.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 22:03
Mentioned in this post
Mahogany Bay
Mahogany Bay
60 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
830 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
98. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

TravelGirl, people understandably get a false impression of the region from new headlines. That's not the reality.

We've just returned from two years in Honduras, and have travelled in the other places you mentioned.

It's not dangerous. It's good to use common sense about walking in areas you don't know after dark and not carrying obvious valuables and not getting drunk. (Especially in larger cities.) But you would do that in Canada or the U.S. as well.

Overall, these are great, secure places to visit and people are keen that you like their country.

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
39 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
99. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

True Honduras mainland has a high rate of crime. Having said that I have been to most of the large towns in the last nine years and I have never seen any crime. Roatan is very different. and laid back. I stay in West End which is rapidly becoming the Ibiza of Central America for young rich Hondurans. They are out to have fun like everyone else. Never had or seen a problem there. Enjoy your stay.. Oddly enough the busiest night is Thursday.

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
100. Re: FAQ - How safe is Roatan for tourists?

Thanks for the tip on false charges to the room. Sounds like fraud to me. I'am considering travel to Roatan and these post's are informative. Have been to Cuba many times without incident. Have been to Mexico with incidents.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Mexico
Mexico
North America