We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird Watching

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bird Watching

Hello,

I will be visiting Roatan for the first time next week, and I would like to do some birdwatching. Does anybody have any tips? Are there any bird-focused tours currently operating?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
361 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird Watching

I don't know of any bird-watching tours on Roatan, but I'll keep checking this link for info if anyone knows : ) We did tour the Butterfly Gardens last year, and they have a number of birds and are very knowledgeable about them. I enjoyed the tour a lot, and it helped me recognize other birds I saw on the island. If I remember, several of the birds were free to come and go, although some were rescue birds and couldn't fly. The employees and caretakers seemed to have a great deal of love and care for their birds and were extremely careful with the butterflies, as well.

County Of Grande...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bird Watching

Visit with Irma Brady at Carambola Botanical Gardens. She wrote a book on Roatan Birds.

Terry

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bird Watching

is carambola gardens also the butterfly gardens ?? or is there 2 different places to visit ?? just going by road side signage it almost seemed to be representing a butterfly place beside a gas station in flowers bay ??!!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bird Watching

two different places...

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
567 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bird Watching

Carambola Gardens are just across from Anthony's Key Resort in Sandy Bay, and the Butterfly Garden is near/behind Woody's gas station in West End.

I highly recommend Carambola, but I have never been to the Butterfly Garden.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bird Watching

I was really hoping there would be a "bird guy" or "bird gal" who is in the tour guide business but has a passion for the birds.

We had a guide in Monteverde, Costa Rica, who showed us we'd been missing literally hundreds of birds because we didn't know how and where to look. When we asked about seeing a sloth he said "you mean, like that one up there?" and pointed.

If there isn't such a person, somebody should train themselves - there's demand among the tourists and cruise ship folks...

Michigan
Level Contributor
102 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bird Watching

Idiots, I completely agree with you. And I had same experiences in Monteverde-but with a monkey instead of a sloth. Having a guide makes ALL of the difference in the world when it comes to viewing wildlife. I consider myself a bit of a 'bird-nerd', but I never would've spotted all of the birds our guide pointed out, or knew their names.

I didn't see as many birds as I expected in Roatan, but was still pretty tickled to see the ones I did see. While in the mangroves I asked our captain if he knew the name of a bird we were passing by, he said 'yes, it's a duck'-it was some type of heron :(

I'd love to be able to hire a guide for wildlife/birdwatching in Roatan. It seems like it would be profitable for someone.

8. Re: Bird Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Roatan