We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car with an infant?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car with an infant?

Hi all,

We just booked a trip to Roatan in January 2013 and we will be traveling with our 11 month old son. I first got certified to dive in Roatan when I was 12 but I haven't been able to make it back since. We will be staying at Hobbie's Hideaway (the reviews on TA made this seem like a good fit for our traveling style). I'm going back and forth on whether to rent a car. We will have a carseat with us and I am doubtful that many taxis will have seatbelts. It would also probably be a pain to haul the carseat every time we take a ride into West End or to other parts of the island. We will have an infant life jacket with us for water taxis.

I have lived in many parts of the world and had no problems hitchhiking and/or taking local buses throughout Central America and Africa (keeping my wits about me of course). We want to have lots of adventures with our baby, but obviously his safety is important to us. Any thoughts on car rentals vs. taxis for our situation?

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

I have only seen car seats used in private vehicles and then only rarely. If it were my child I'd haul the seat around and insist on a taxi with seat belts. Most, if not all, rental cars will have rear seat belts. Hobbie's is a bit out of the way so a car rental might be the way to go.

Safe Travels

Bonnie

2. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2012, 15:12
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

my reaction too, Katzgar. Generally people are reluctant to permit you to rent their kids and you have to provide your own.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

One of these posts got deleted before I could read it. Could you please clarify? We still have not made a decision on what to do, but we will definitely have our own carseat with us.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

Als...I didn't see the deleted post but 99.9% it was probably a "sarcastic" unhelpful comment ...usually these get deleted if tripadvisor gets wind of it...it was most likely written by Katzgar as the third poster makes reference to it...Katzgar makes comments on this forum from time to time...I would take heed to Bonnie's comments she is always helpful and lives on the island.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

Als...oh I get it now...I think someone was probably poking fun at the title of your post...reading it like you wanted to rent a car that came with an infant....just ignore this smarty pants type posters who show up on this forum from time to time. Enjoy Roatan.

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

Using a car seat is not required by Honduras law nevertheless I use one with my own son knowing the benefit it brings and the peace of mind, if your budget allows rent a car and save yourself the hassle of carrying out a seat and checking you can put it in the different cabs

Edited: 19 December 2012, 04:38
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

We too are travelling to Roatan in January 2013 with our infant daughter. She is 13 months now. We are staying right in West End Village. I know of many others who do not take car seats and take a slow ride to their destination and a slow ride back. However, there is a car rental company that rents right from the airport and their rates seem rather reasonable. There is a very small line on their website indicating that they will rent infant or toddler car seats at a rate of $4.00 per day but I assume that you would have to book it in advance. I saw them listed here.

http://www.roatanisland.net/car.htm

I hope you enjoy Roatan. We have returned many times and never stayed at the same place twice until we stayed at Sueno del Mar in West End. We love it there.

If you are travelling the week commencing January 28th, send me a message and maybe we can hook up for a beach play date in West End :) Apres our morning dives of course!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

Kudly68 thanks for the advice. Have you traveled to Roatan with babies before? We'll be bringing our own carseat down with us- it's easy enough to gate check and clips into the stroller for getting around the airport.

I think we are going to try and take taxis and haul the car seat along with us when we go to town. We can rent a car if it becomes too difficult, but it is a big price difference and we might not leave our beach side apartment every day. We will be traveling in mid-January and it looks like we will just miss each other. We would love to meet up with other people who travel with their kiddos. We are getting a lot of surprised faces in Minnesota when we tell people we are taking our child to Honduras. I'm excited to start adventuring with our baby! I hope you have a fun trip with your family.

10. Re: Renting a car with an infant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Roatan