We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family with Teenagers

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Family with Teenagers

We are a family with 2 teen age boys ages 13 and 15, we are considering going to Roatan (Bananarama or Turquoise Bay) at the end of January.

My husband and I are divers, we like to dive but aren't obsessed, the boys are both great swimmers and like snorkling.

I am not too sure if there is enough to do on the island other than diving and snorkling? What about getting the kids certified for diving? What is the weather like at the end of January?

Is the West End good for families? Or is it a party place?

Thanks for any and all feedback

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family with Teenagers

Hi, Canuck

I'm sure you'll get some good advice...

in the meantime, I see you have posted a bunch of reviews but haven't used the forums before. I want to point out a particularly helpful feature (that I didn't "get" right away when I started on the forums)

We've all been aggravated by search results that were too broad to be helpful... but TA has a second kind of search box - right above your post - that allows you to just search within a particular forum.

Yours is a commonly asked question. If you just type 'teenager' in the search box you'll get lots of good replies. Also note, the result come back in a "relevance" order... I use the button to re-sort them by date so I can see the most recent replies first.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family with Teenagers

Good advice, above. I think your boys would probably love getting certified and love West End. There are good options for hiking nearby, too, or you could spend a few nights on the mainland rafting, kayaking, etc. Happy planning!

3. Re: Family with Teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 13:17
4. Re: Family with Teenagers

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 13:17
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family with Teenagers

Thanks so much - I feel better now!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family with Teenagers

i think your kids would be bored out of their minds at Turquoise Bay. It's isolated from everything. the reef is WAY out there, almost too far to swim even for me. The beach sand is rock hard. I didn't really like their dive operation.And worst of all the wifi is unreliable. Still it's a pretty place and the food is decent. Not to compare to a place more in the middle of things, with easy sonrkeling close to the beach, like West Bay. There will be far more kids their ages and more to do.

Edited: 26 November 2012, 16:22
7. Re: Family with Teenagers

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Roatan