We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help

dallas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
need help

I am comming to the island in Jan. for a 17 day visit. I did not realize that my passport will expire 5 months and 2weeks from my departure date. I have read that within 3 months experation i will be o.k. Now some people are telling me 6 months experation Does anyone know for sure. With Christmas comming I my not have time to renew it. Thanks for your help

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help

We were told 6 months... my wife's was going to be about 5 months so we have just sent it in for renewal.

The timing for renewal might be a little tight - depending on when in January you are going. It would cost more, but you do have same-day passport services in Dallas...

rushmypassport.com/blog/…

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help

I would renew - it's the airlines that might stop you from boarding and how horrible would that be? Seems worse to me than the hassle and cost of expediting a passport renewal application. ¡Buena suerte!

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help

Makes you wonder doesn't it...you get a passport either in the states or here in canada...and it's almost no good for 6 months before it even expires...go figure

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help

Yeah, I sent my passport in for renewal in the spring because I was leaving in June and my passport export in February, just under 6 months out from when I returned home in August. :-P

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help

definitely get it renewed, use an expediter.

nothing is worse than checking in and being told you cannot board the plane because you have less than six months on your passport. i know from experience :(

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help

You can use the expediter... but more and more cities now have the same-day passport offices... Dallas has one... make an appointment, go in, and pick up your new passport later that day or the next day...

7. Re: need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Roatan