We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Roatan What should we do?

Eldersburg, Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
One day in Roatan What should we do?

Help? Lots of choices: Coming in on Norwegian Dawn on 12/11/12

Want to go to blue harbor tropical arboretum, then if possbile snorkel from a beach. Will have my folks with me. (80 & 81) Good health. My husband and I want to snorkel if there is time.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

Do not miss snorkeling..it IS the reason to come to Roatan...

Level Contributor
185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

Get your folks a day pass at Mayan Princess, they will have easy access to shade, pool, beach, restaurant, bar and restrooms. You will be about a 5 minute walk away from awesome shore snorkelling.

Carthage, Missouri
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

how do we get from our port Mahagony Bay to Mayan Princess hotel? and what's the cost?

Carleton Place...
Level Contributor
841 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

Check out Victor Bodden tours...google him. Most cruisers use them. You can book a private tour for the day for about $25.00 and go where you want for as long or short as you want.

We just booked them for a private tour for our cruise in January on the Jewel.

Also if this is your first cruise, and you are not already join Cruise Critic cruisecritic.com

It is a sister site to TA and is exclusively for cruisers...you will find Moreinfo than you could ever need.

There is forums, for your cruiseline, specific ship, roll call, each port etc.

If you are not on there check it out...if you are ...go to the Ports forum for Roatan..lots of good info for things to day and on Victor Bodden

Smithville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

We first visited Roatan via a cruise & then went back and stayed for a week at Las Sirenas in West Bay. Both trips we did tours with Roatan Culture Tours. I cannot say enough great things about how much we enjoyed both tours! Their website has a list of set tours but they're great about accommodating special interests. On our first visit we did a basic island tour, with stops to see monkeys - so fun! - and beach time in West Bay, don't miss that for some of the best shore snorkeling anywhere. Next visit we had Cynthia take us on a longer island tour; she was great about taking us to a few different hotels, we were checking out options for future trips. I've heard great things about Victor Bodden but thought you'd like to know there's other options out there.

No matter what I hope you fall in love with Roatan like we have! Enjoy your trip!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

I also want to point out that Mahogany Bay is actually a destination. This is a "super port" - only the second Carnival has constucted anywhere. They invested $62 million to create an experience. There is a beach with snorkeling and other water sports... and day rooms and assorted beach facilities.

You can get to the beach via a ski-lift style ride over tropical gardens. There are areas to stroll... there are shops and restaurants and entertainment...

With elderly parents, I think there is a real advantage to enjoying the facilities with the boat docked nearby... easy to head back for a rest.

If you are excited about seeing the island, driving the gravel road out to the arboretum (not sure how suitable their trails are for the elderly), and snorkeling, you might consider allowing your parents to enjoy a more relaxed visit at Mahogany Bay.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

Lots of snorkel options. In West End you can swim out from the beach. PLEASE... don't do what too many of the cruise ship passengers do. Don't stand on the coral. It kills the reef.

Pearland, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

Look for Skydiving on your next trip:)

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

We will arrive in Roatan in a few weeks by Ferry from mainland Honduras.

The Mahogany Bay website http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/ makes it sound as if we (as non-cruisers) are not welcome at the "Cruise Center". Does anyone here know if this is true?

Carleton Place...
Level Contributor
841 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Roatan What should we do?

Hi We are cruisers...and I can't imagine them turning anyones money down ;-)

These places can be very crowded on cruise days no one know who is a cruiser and who is'nt. They don't care...the site is set up to attract cruises and entise us to spend our day there and not one of the other many choices on the Island...so no don't worry about it.

You may have to purchase an excursion pkg to access the beach etc ..not sure, but if you plan to have to and don't that's a bonus.

Mostyy they just want tourists to spend their money with them...they don't care what kind of tourist :-)

Enjoy your day in Roatan!

Get answers to your questions about Roatan