We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Royal National Park

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Port Royal National Park

i heard that the National Park in New Port Royal is opening up to the public. does anyone have info on tours and places to stay and is it before Camp Bay or past it?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Royal National Park

I think it would be before Camp Bay but I'm not certain. Also not sure there's road access but will look forward to someone more int he know responding about that.

We stayed a week here in 2011 and really enjoyed it:

http://www.campbayresort.com/

It has new owners since I was there but continues to receive great reviews here on Trip Advisor.

In 2006 we stayed at Mango Creek Lodge which I think is actually closer to the Nat'l park:

http://mangocreeklodge.com/

Happy trails!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Royal National Park

Hmmm...just received word that there's been a controversy associated with Mango Creek that I was unaware of.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Royal National Park

there are a few places to stay and eat close to the Park. the closest is just past the Park on the right, The Lost Moose, run by a Canadian couple, Will and Martina. they just opened and have two rooms and are planning a restaurant to open by Valentines Day. La Sirena de Camp Bay is a couple of minutes away, serving fresh seafood, Camp Bay Adventure lodge has rooms, a restaurant and a dive operation. Paya Bay is before you get to the Park, about 5min., plus ther is a rental house on Camp Bay Beach, they are listed on VRBO.

For tours to Port Royal you can ask almost any tour company, though most try to steer you towards the west end of the island. car rentals is easy since there is just one road that cuts through the island and they supply a road map.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Royal National Park

Will at the lost moose used to be at coconut tree divers & is a great guy, I'm sure his new venture will be worth checking out.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Royal National Park

sounds like the perfect getaway from the crowds during the busy season. are there any excursions to the mangrove forest, kayaking or snorkeking?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Royal National Park

If an actual park has been designated and is "opening" - anybody got a map showing its location, description, etc.???

roatan
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Royal National Park

The Lost Moose Guest House is located within the Roatan National Park. We have trained guides, offering hiking for novices through to advanced hikers.

roatan
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Royal National Park

http://bicaroatan.com/protectedarea.htm <<< this will show you the park boundary. We are located within the park.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Royal National Park

thanks for the reference, LostMoose... I can't really make out the map as it is too small and too blurry when I enlarge it on my monitor.. I do see this description, which helps identify the area...

"PORT ROYAL NATIONAL PARK

Located in the Municipality of Santos Guardiola this unique forest is the only terrestrial protected area on the island of Roatan, supports endemic fauna such as Yellow Napped Parrots (Amazona auropalliata caribaea), Guatuza (Dasyprocta ruatanica), Marmosa rataunica. and unique flora such as Pinus caribea. Endangered species such as White Tail Deer, Green Iguanas, spectacular panoramic views are also common here. This 499.25 hectares of forest extends from Jane Cooper Hill in Calabash Bight Eastward to the West of Camp Bay. Picacho is the highest peak inside the park. Nearby attractions include Camp Bay Beach. "

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Royal National Park

this sounds amazing . alot of great photo ops i bet !!! I have not heard of the bica before? very worthy cause to support definatly going to look into the set up.

where can I find more info on the hikes and arrangements to do so?

Get answers to your questions about Roatan