We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

To any travellers who are thinking of buying a phone to use during your stay on Roatan I would like to suggest you stick with Tigo service. We have had Claro for at least the last 5-6 years while living in our house in West Bay. This year, when we returned to our house, we have no Claro service at all! We have reported the problem to Claro and in over 2 weeks still no service. Too bad we just bought a new Claro phone and minutes. We have heard from many others who are having issues with them as well.

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

can you update if the claro service is back up or if there is a wide spread problem??

there is talk of phone company usage on a different post and we are wondering if claro is up or out for an option when we return to roatan to purchase!!!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

I understand Tigo works very well save for spottiness east of French Harbor.

3. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2013, 13:16
4. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
576 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

We have two phones, one on Claro, one on Tigo. Claro has been off and on for weeks now. You never know when its going to work. Yes its cheaper to call the U.S. and Canada with it, but what's the point when it doesn't work ?

Which is why I use Skype to call.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 22:37
6. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

Edited: 17 February 2013, 13:16
Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

We still have no Claro service....no problem with our new Tigo phone. We here all kinds of excuses from Claro including the problem exists only in our development. The latest we've heard is that there is something blocking their signal. Whatever....the Tigo phone works so that's who gets our business.

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

thank you for the info regarding my question

9. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

Removed on: 17 February 2013, 13:20
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Claro phone service = NO SERVICE!

here on utila claro built a cell tower near my home a couple of years ago and i could finally get a signal without having to go out on my boat. after about 8 months it went out for five months, i found out later it was because claro never paid their electric bill so upco cut their service to the tower. after a phone call to an executive at claro in guatemala the bill was paid and the cell service finally restored.

Edited: 18 January 2013, 17:40