We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cultural events!

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Cultural events!

My wife and I are in our late 30's and enjoy travelling the carribean. We were married in Barbados, and have been to Jamaica and Mexico twice. We love meeting and mingling with the locals, experiencing their culture and food. We are not the type to believe that we are priveledged and deserve to be pampered on a vacation. We like being unobstrusive and wish to experience the history and customs of the people. We would enjoy experiencing the true Roatan. I don't know if this is possible anymore. Everywhere we go we find the culture has adapted to the 'American experience'. We are Americans, but not typical Americans. Can anyone suggest any events occurring the end of May 2013? We would welcome any ideas. Thank you.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cultural events!

The further east you go in Roatan the more authentic the experience becomes. Consider staying somewhere other than west end or west bay.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cultural events!

And on a future trip, consider off-the-beaten-track Honduras or the Guatemala highlands - so many more opportunities for cultural interaction when you don't choose the most touristy bit of a country for your visit.

That said, we've enjoyed our time on Roatán and have never chosen to stay in West End or West Bay, but in rentals and small lodges further east. Because we love cultural immersion but are avid divers and flats fishermen, we tend to split our trips between Guatemala and some beachy time in Honduras or Belize. Have a great trip - I hope you find just what you're looking for.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cultural events!

as Roatan continues to grow and prosper, it has become a destination for mainland Spanish-speaking Hondurans looking for work. So most of the taxi drivers and waiters you will encounter are from the mainland. From what i can see they have settled with other mainlanders in areas like Los Fuertes rather than mixed with the native Roataners. I agree with the other posters that you will have to head away from West Bay and West End and explore the eastern settlements. Jonesville, Pollitilly, maybe even the islands to the east, if you want an experience of the old Roatan. On the other hand there is a reason why the west end is popular: restaurants, diving, amenities, a place to sleep.

4. Re: Cultural events!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 03:17