We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are flights so expensive?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Why are flights so expensive?

Flying down from Toronto, Canada around Feb.17 for two weeks and can't believe the airfare prices, long layovers and inflexible times?

Travelled alot to Carribean over the years and never remembered it to be so hard to find a convenient and reasonable flight.

Are there certain days that are better to fly to Roatan from Toronto?

Just have to wait and worry I guess.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,409 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

that particular week is when the US celebrates Presidents Day, so a lot of folks just declare it a week off. Many schools in the US also declare Ski Week. So all that may back up onto the Canadian flights. If you were to look at the week before or after, you might do better. I'm going down late April, when the weather is dryer and I now see very few occupied seats on the planes so far.

Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

dhauk, my wife and I are going down at the end of April also. Where do you stay? I'd love to buy you a cold one for all the help you,ve given me and other folks in this forum.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

Thanks for the help........Didn't realize however seems like flights from Canada are expensive no matter what week you look at.

We have already booked for two weeks at a local vrbo in Brick Bay......guess we will just have to suck it up and pay the flight.

Can't wait for vacation and first time to Roatan.......great advice on all these forums........cheers all.

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

typically feb is more than january for flights from toronto to roatan

I wont tell you what we get to pay but it definatly was a good thing for us this year to book early!!!

did you have a look at flight only through sunwing on mondays depart or Canjet /nolitours flight only on thursdays

the United flight of TO to Houston to Roatan is very pricey this year and the layovers are definatly longer than what we have seen in the past

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

Since you don't have direct flights to Roatan from Canada except from Charters it gets pricey. Get a Credit card that rewards with miles to get the price down a bit

Bothwell
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

We are flying from Toronto Feb 14th to Roatan. Book thru Nolitours flight only

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

Have you tried pricing out flights from the US at all?

We live near Vancouver but are booked to fly down to Roatan in April from Seattle. It's a bit longer of a drive for us but saving us $300.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

If you "shop-around" and check different company sites constantly....( AA, Sunwing, Transat/ Canjet, etc. ), also, try different departure cities near you....I try Montreal departures, Boston departures, Burlington, etc. etc. You can find good deals. The Charter deals come around "last minute", 1 week before....maybe 2. Deals on AA and other occur booking earlier. I know in November it was $505 return, tx in Boston- Roatan on AA. ( short stop in Houston ). A couple of weeks ago, the Jan. 14th departure out of Montreal was $335 tax in, return. ( Sunwing I think )

Edited: 25 January 2013, 23:32
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

I meant booking in November for a Jan. 28th departure was $505 on AA...( out of Boston ).

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why are flights so expensive?

Flying anywhere in the world is crazy this year. And on top of that, add that there are fewer planes operating, putting those fewer seats at a premium. We paid over $700 from Wisconsin to Roatan. Leaving tomorrow. Was cheaper than flying out of Chicago.

Flying to London from Chicago this year...close to $1,400. last year..$850.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan