We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

We just returned from Roatan yesterday. FYI don't make this dumb mistake: YOU MUST HAVE A YELLOW SLIP ATTACHED TO YOUR PASSPORT ON ADMISSION TO HONDURAS, AND DON'T LOSE IT!!. On the plane down I only filled out ONE total for myself and husband (apparently I wasn't paying attention and thought they said ONE PER FAMILY). Due to weather, our flight got diverted to San Pedro Sula. On arrival in SPS immigration official said something?? about the form??, stamped it and waved us onwards. On departure from Roatan, we present to the immigration official TWO passports and ONE all important yellow form stapled to one of the passports. Turns out we should have ONE PER PERSON, fine $166. (That is in addition to the departure tax we already paid.) No amount of protesting did any good; basically it seemed we must pay if we wanted to leave the country. Luckily we weren't out of cash. Put a damper on what had to that point been a nice vacation, in spite of a week of rain.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

Darn - not a nice send off. :-P I can't believe the entry immigration guy let you by without 1.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

Not the best way to promote tourism by their immigration officers.... Couldn't the second officer see that the first officer didn't staple the form to your husband's passport and that actually HE was at fault for letting you in the country?? wait... but then there was money to be made...

We have seen them hold up the line while a passenger filled in a second form or made corrections etc. so it does happen, at least on Roatan, don't know about SPS.

3. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2013, 13:09
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

I disagree RTB. I don't know about Miami but in Toronto he would not have been allowed into the country without the paperwork... simple as that. The first officer did not do his job. If he did, the husband would have been told to do the paperwork before entry. The first officer set these guys up for problems, the second guy did his job and collected the cash. Both guys made the tourist experience not the best as a result of what the first officer did. I do agree that the wife should have read the form, especially since it is an official document.. I bet she will read government forms from now on. I wonder why the flight attendant didn't give the wife two forms, one for each passenger and if he/she did then the wife should have caught on.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

Although I am used to having to keep this little piece of paper at other destinations I inadvertently tore up this little piece of paper after I had checked in for my return flight back to Toronto from Roatan and threw it in the garbage...had a bad case of holiday brain....after being told many times by the immigration guy... "very, very important paper"...I searched through the garbage but it had already been taken away....after many groveling "lo sientos" from me he finally accepted the last of my cash $125 US and let me go through...phew...

6. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2013, 13:09
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

It's not the RTB officer that messed up, it's the receiving officer in SAP who let 1 of them pass without an immigration form.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

Exactly. One would think that it is illegal to allow someone to enter a country without the immigration and customs forms filled out and recorded... maybe not in Honduras though. lol

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

I agree, ignorance of the law is no excuse. But an announcement on the plane or at the arriving airport "$166 FINE for trying to leave the country without this form" SURE WOULD HAVE EVERYONE'S ATTENTION!:). Just wondering, is $166 a standard fine? The immigration agent gave us nothing in writing

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Make sure you have an immigration form attached to passport

I think $166 is probably the standard fine...when I didn't have my slip the guy wanted something like $150 or so...that was in 2011...but was just lucky that he cut me a break and accepted $125...he did some paperwork in front of me recording the details but I didn't get a copy.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan
Recent Conversations