We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at Palmetto Bay Plantation

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norristown...
Level Contributor
341 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling at Palmetto Bay Plantation

Hello Roatan forumites!

I'm new here, so I hope I get all the right data into this question. My wife & I are looking at a first-time visit at the end of March and we like what we see accomodation-wise at Palmetto Bay Plantation. But our main reason for coming is snorkeling. What can you tell us about snorkeling here - good, bad, in-between? If Palmetto Bay isn't so great, are there good alternatives fairly close by? We'll rent a vehicle, but it appears that P.B.P. is a bit off the beaten track so I'm wondering what I'll be looking at drive-wise. Thanks in advance for your help!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling at Palmetto Bay Plantation

I'm going to guess, never having been to the place, that snorkeling should be your basic good to excellent, by Roatan's high standards, but you'll probably need a kayak to fully take advantage of it. Looks like it has a distant reef crest with a lot of turtle grass between reef and beach. Probably a hard packed beach. And also intermittent brain coral heads inside the reef. Should be fish concentrated near the coral heads, with lots more and more soft coral at the reef crest. Your basic north shore snorkel. The reef crest is closer to shore at West End and WEst Bay, but the reef at PBP should be in better shape. Swimming out could be rather boring with lots of grass, but still some things to see before you get to the reef. I may be totally wrong, so I hope you can hear from someone who has actually snorkeled there.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling at Palmetto Bay Plantation

My goal on this visit was to find out what the reef looked like along other parts of the island as compared to the west end. What I believe I have found is due to the Roatan Marine Park being from Sandy Bay to Light house.. those parts of the reef critter count wise are far far more fun. The rest of the reef I have seen, parts are healthy but the fish count is boring, I believe this is due to the locals feeding their families.

The reef at Palmetto is to far out to swim it, you would need a kayak. While I have not snorkeled that part of the reef my guess it it will look much the same at the areas I did see... near Punta Blanca, Paya Bay, Camp Bay, Pigon Cay, Old Port Royal and over by CocoView.

Additionally, there were nine days of straight rain stopping the morning after I arrived, this could have had impact on my enjoyment.

My personal opinion is of your goal is amazing snorkeling stay along the Roatan Marine Park.

Next week I shift to West Bay, while I have snorkeling the parts between Infinity and the wall many times, the goal this year is to do extensive exploring of the reef between West End and West Bay.

I hope this helps.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 17:04
Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling at Palmetto Bay Plantation

just got back from palmetto...you definitely need the kayak to get out to the reef although there is a captain- captain bill- who is from crawfish rock i believe that you hire out by the hour to take you out to the reef for snorkling. there is a wreck not too far from palmetto.

on the driving note we did rent a 4x4 truck and i would recommend the same to anyone headed to palmetto unless you can be fairly certain there will be no rain. we arrive on jan 27th following several days of rain and pretty much everyone claimed the palmetto road was the worst they had ever seen it. that said with a little patience and caution i really don't think it was that bad and it was actually a very fun drive for the rest of the week when it wasn't quite so muddy.

if you are driving east from the airport just turn left immediately before the wendy's. get it into 4x4 right away because the first little hill is heavily rutted and steep and is impossible to get up in 2 wheel mode when wet...

4. Re: Snorkeling at Palmetto Bay Plantation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 05:18