We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sir Idiot's Kayak

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Sir Idiot's Kayak

Right then, some of you may have been watching a kayak thread a few weeks ago. Sir Idiot mentioned he purchased an inflatable, his description inspired me to bring one with me.

I can't remember the last checked a bag but I decided being I wanted to explore the reef between Sandy Bay and Lighthouse Point I would suffer though the baggage ordeal... suffer I did. I had no idea ya gotta wait up to an hour on this end for the bags to get off the plane..shezz.

I got to West Bay at 2pm, was unpacked and inflated by 3:30. I managed to paddle up to Luna Beach in 42 mins. I had a lovely chat with a Canadian who runs a sailing school here by winter and in Montreal by the summer.. his boat is buoyed near Luna Beach.

I took my snorkel gear with me then realized the sun was to low in the sky for good visibility, in the end I enjoyed a very nice sunset while paddling back.

I am so excited about my new water freedom I can't hardly stand still.

I figure tomorrow I will sort out the "shezz, can I get back on this thing in deep water" debacle.

Any of you considering bring one down...don't think any more just do it.

Cheers to Sir Idiot! Fabulous idea. Thanks!

Hickory Flat
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

I wonder if I order now will it come by Friday?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

I was scared to open this - afraid you'd find it a bust! So far, so good. Now I'm excited to hear about my biggest concern... will I be able to get my whale-like body back up onto the boat after snorkeling!

Thanks for being the pioneer marking the way!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

The thing is cool.. my only concern is the handles on the paddle are buggin my hands. perhaps a bit of duck tape as cushion would be of use.

I will keep ya posted.

Stephanie, mine showed up in less than seven days... they may offer a rushed shipping. :0)

Edited: 10 February 2013, 12:32
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

So people don't have to go searching for the other thread, this is the kayak we're talking about

amazon.com/Sevylor-Quikpak-Coverless-Sit-On-…

I watched the prices for months and got one on a closeout for about $80 and one that was used-like-new (must have been a return - had never been unpacked) for about $93. There is a youtube video showing the set up - they say 5 minutes from "backpack" to the water... easier with two people, I think...

The paddles are something of a joke, aren't they? that's what we get for needing something that breaks down really small and keeping the cost of the overall rig down. Folks spend $100 on a kayak paddle without blinking, so... maybe I'tl throw in my thin canoeing gloves...

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

I missed that thread altogether. Forum search got me nowhere. Can you post a link for a photo of said kayak.? I'm assuming you bought it online?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

how's that for service, Jane? I feel like a Jimmy Jones delivery guy!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

WOOT WOOT! Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted on your experience.

Sir I --I recommend-starting a pushup-pullup routine starting today. Long arms are an advantage. As a petite it is a challange. I pay for Prime from Amazon --wonder if they will overnight to Roatan?:)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

Dear Nomadic,

Read your delightful tale and worry about getting back "on" after snorkeling to my husband. With over 30 years coaching experience, he said, " She takes the kayak out in water just over her head, and she practices until she has it - then go out to the reef." Not bad advice. Good luck!! Can't wait to hear!

igs
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
289 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

I have to ask... What do you do with the kayak while snorkeling?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sir Idiot's Kayak

igs... the answer is you tie it off on a buoy... or you attach it to your ankle and drag it along... folks have described both. On another thread somone linked to ankle straps, designed to attach strings to fins to prevent losing them that can double as ankle bracelts to attach the kayak rope to.