We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

If you rely on your credit card rental car insurance benefit (pretty much replaces the LDW/CDW coverage offered at hefty prices by the rental companies) you should be aware of the details. I haven't checked in a long time, so I just talked with the rep. and reviewed the details online.

We have a Chase Freedom VISA card. The coverage is good in Honduras... but I'd never notices the exceptions for certain vehicles. Motorbikes and Scooters - no surprise those are excluded. Exotics? - probably wouldn't apply to Roatan. Antique cars - might apply if I rented one of the taxis we've ridden in, but not a rental car.

But here's the kicker - trucks are excluded. My reading is that if you rent one of the popular 2- or 4-wheel pickups, your credit card coverage would not apply.

Could be an expensive surprise for some folks!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

Ya gotta read the fine print!

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

I think it has always been that way. That is probably why uhaul forces you to take the damage insurance when getting a pickup. The abilities of the vehicle greatly increase the likelihood of damage

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

So - if your credit card offers international car rental insurance, does that mean you should not take the insurance that is offered through a car rental agency? I have many credit cards... all of them except 1 at a $0 balance, so I don't pay much attention to them... I'm going to have to start looking online to see which one would be best.

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

no you should take the insurance if you rent a truck...b/c your credit card most likely does not cover trucks

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

Jen... if you want your credit card damage waiver insurance to be in effect, you MUST decline the CDW/LDW on the rental car agreement. (Collision Damage Waiver / Liability Damage Waiver, I think...) Go to your credit card webpage and read the conditions...

but I know a lot of people rent trucks for Roatan... the 4-wheel 4 door pickups appear to be popular rentals, especially for folks staying on the east end. And our credit card - and I think, most credit cards, specifically exclude these from coverage... so you would want to take the insurance from the car company or arrange some other coverage before you get there.

I believe American Express, and maybe others, offer a special rider-kind of coverage if you arrange it ahead of time. This might be helpful for some. I know that I've got a rental in Mexico in April where the LDW coverage would cost more than twice the price of the rental... tripling the cost if I took it. I won't have to take it because my credit card does cover cars in Mexico

but not trucks!

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

I'd have to dig out my invoice but I think the insurance I bought for a truck rental from Avis was less than $15/day...which seemed like fine bargain to exonerate me from any damage to the vehicle.

Of course when I returned it they barely looked at it and the girl told me i was its last renter and it was being shipped back to the mainland for resale...so between that and the coat of mud over it I'm not sure I really needed to worry about any little dings or scratches

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

For Canadians, some insurance companies will cover your rental car or truck if you have your car insurance with them. Maybe it's the same in the States, check with your car insurance company. We never take the insurance offered by the rental company when renting in Florida and also use our Visa for the transaction, so covered by both companies and save a nice chunk of money.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

My Amercan Express covers truck rental throughout Central and South America. My auto insurance will also cover it if I have a written document from the real agency that a 4x4 is recomended for the area.,

United States
Level Contributor
536 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

This is what thrifty is telling me about the additional insurance? I dont know if its just for SPS or Roatan too!

Thank you for visiting the Thrifty Car Rental interactive website.

At our Thrifty San Pedro Sula, Honduras location, the Super Damage Waiver is mandatory.

COST OF SDW IS USD 21.00 PER DAY AND INCLUDES COMBINED COVERAGE OF SLI AND LDW. SDW REDUCES RENTERS FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE RENTAL VEHICLE TO USD 500.00.

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us back.

Due to the # of agents answering e-mails, please leave all correspondence with the e-mail so we can better assist you. (Our emails are answered in the order received, M-F, 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. CT.)

We look forward to serving your car rental needs and thank you for choosing Thrifty.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting fact about Rental Car Insurance

I am getting down to the wire - leaving in 23 days! So I'm finally looking at my CC's car insurance policy, and the same applies - no trucks covered, but that's OK because I'm renting a car. I'm glad I read the fine print though, and even called to confirm - the coverage does not apply if you don't use the card to pay for the car. This may sound like it makes sense, but I was going to use the card as a "hold" in case of any damages. We were actually going to pay with cash because it was cheaper.

Now I'm thinking I will pay with the CC so I can have that coverage. I just emailed Joshua at Roatan Best Car Rental to see if they accept Discover and ask what the rate is if paying with a CC. He had told me previously that they don't even offer car insurance, they just have a $2,000 damage waiver.

Oy, this gets confusing!