We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West End to West Bay at night

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
West End to West Bay at night

Hi everyone,

This may be a stupid question but I've never seen anyone talk about it yet so I figured I'd ask. So, I'm coming to Roatan in two weeks and I am staying in the West Bay area. From what I've read, West Bay is a safe tourist section, has the best beaches in Roatan and has good restaurants too. I've also read about the West End which is relatively close to West Bay, is a tourist section as well however it has a more lively bar and dance scene. Getting to West End doesn't seem to be a problem as there are water taxis however, from what I have read, they stop running by sunset. My question is, if I want to go out to the West End to check out the bar/dance scene, are there reputable land taxis I can catch out there that will take me safely back to West Bay ? I know it's a short drive between the two areas however, I just want to confirm that the land taxis run that late and that it is actually safe for me to catch one at that time. I definitely don't want to be walking 45 minutes back to my room late at night in a country I am not familiar with.

Any info on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lousiana
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West End to West Bay at night

Yes it's easy to find a taxi to get back at night

Best to find a driver you trust and get his number

Ill be down feb 28th through march 7th and also staying in west bay

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West End to West Bay at night

walking between WE and WB at night is definitely not an option. Walking the road between the 2 in daylight is barely an option, long and very steep. At night add to that the lack of lights along the road. It would take way more than 45 minutes. Walking the beach involves getting your feet wet. I hear that taxis do run late and are cruising for fares all over the tourist part of the island late at night.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 16:56
3. Re: West End to West Bay at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 01:32
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West End to West Bay at night

Really not a problem - but i'd want to make sure I have a safe taxi and driver - which means I wouldn't want to walk out onto the street in West End and hail a cab. Just a little too uncertain. Some folks will take fares even though they aren't real taxis. Some of the real taxis are really folks who have borrowed/rented the taxi from the licensed person...

anyway, the safety of getting into an unknown taxi with and unknown driver at night in a foreign country after I've been drinking... just a little too uncertain for me.

The alternatives... as mentioned above, you can have the name of one or two good drivers and call. Alternatively, if you are in a reputable bar/restaurant you can ask the waitress or bartender to call somebody... get the name and make sure they know at the bar when you are getting in the cab...

I think these are the same rules I'd use in Minneapolis under the same circumstances!

british...
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West End to West Bay at night

I personally would not go there at night. There are plenty of bars etc. at West Bay to keep you busy and safe. We walked West Bay beach many nights with no problems.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West End to West Bay at night

blainhamilton...you posted twice about not going to WE at night...do you care to expand on this...did you feel it would be unsafe to go to WE at night??? Just curious????

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: West End to West Bay at night

@ Sparkykitty, I was just about to ask the same thing. From what I've read, West End and West Bay are supposed to be very safe and they have a number of hotels in the West End.

@blainhamilton, if it's not too much trouble, how come you say that I should not go to the West End at night ? I know for sure, places like Coxen Hole are to be avoided like the plague at night but I 've read that the West End was suppose to be a safe place. Not trying to offend you but I honestly don't know.

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: West End to West Bay at night

By the way, everyone, thank you for your input.

@ idiots, I agree, I didn't want to go on the street and hail one. Not even during the day would I really want to do that (assuming I'd ever have to). Too much uncertainty for sure. I'd rather get to know a reputable taxi company and call them. Speaking of which, how easy is it to get a phone chip down there to make local calls ? When I come, I'd be bringing one of those old old Nokia or Motorola phones that can't be worth much of anything so I figure, if I can get a chip, I should be okay.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West End to West Bay at night

Onyx...yes definitely as Dhauk said it is definitely not a walkable journey at night from WE to WB unless you want a good workout and you have a high powered flashlight and a body guard with you. I agree to hook up with someone reputable from where you are staying with and arrange for them to pick you up in WE and take you back to WB. Any questions feel free to private message me....Sparky

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: West End to West Bay at night

during the day - we ride the buses and, when necessary, grab a taxi... we've never had a bad experience... we have walked away when the rate seemed too high and the guy has accepted our offer of half of the first asking price... and we've shared taxis with interesting people... but on the stretch from West Bay to Coxen Hole in daytime... it just "feels" OK to us...