We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

Hi, we are considering doing a week long trip to Roatan in August for our 10 year anniversary. Is this a good time of year to visit?

We are certified divers, but relatively inexperienced and have never been to Roatan (our few dives were in St. Lucia and Hawaii, and lakes in the midwest). Wondering where we should stay for great onsite snorkeling and diving, beachfront or beach access? Also, we are leaving the kids behind on this trip, which we never get to do, so we might like to take the opportunity to stay at a place that is less family oriented, or has a little bit of a romantic atmosphere. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

For beachfront, beach snorkelling and a well kept tourist beach you want West Bay hands down. Where you choose will bepend a lot on if you want great onsite dive operation, top class accomodations, resyaurant, etc.. I would read through past posts and do some searches but for what you ask about i would limit them more to the West Bay Area., Had you not mentioned Hawaii and St Licia then other places might work as well but your talking some high end and high dollar places so that is what i assume your looking for

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

Check out accommodations for West Bay like Infinity Bay, Mayan Princess, West Bay Village...they are all on the Beach and you will have snorkelling and dive shops right there. But if you want couples only...there is a new accommodation called Rumors on Roatan - www.rumorsonroatan.com

While not on the beach it is a short walk, has a lovely pool and no kids.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

I agree with jimmi and kan that West Bay would suit you, except for the romantic part. WB is a little busy, although it does offer you a lot, especially being such an incredibly beautiful beach. But romantic, not so much. You might favor the tranquility of one of the north side dive resorts, maybe on Sandy Bay. Small resorts, few kids, pools, on the beach, kayaks, good snorkeling and a resident dive operation. You would be more isolated, but that's the idea. And you get to know your fellow guests pretty well.

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

You might try looking at Tranquil Seas EcoLodge or Mayoka Lodge.

Cheers

Bonnie

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

Yea,

Romantic does not come to mind when I think of the most torist infested area on the Island BUT, No one can argue that it is the beach area best catering to the same folks .I would run fast from Myokka Lodge

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

http://xbalanque-roatan.com/theresort

This could work in terms of being a bit more romantic, private, and upscale. I doubt there would be many children.

It's not "on" West Bay Beach, but WBB it isn't far. Nor is it far from West End Village. The beach it sits on isn't as ideal as WBB but that is just a short water taxi away. Snorkeling would be great, but I am not certain if there is an onsite dive shop.

As someone else mentioned, West Bay Village could be a nice idea, it's just next door to Infinity. It's a cluster of charming rental homes & units directly on the beach, sweet property. Infinity Bay & Mayan are larger hotels, more in the typical "AI" vein. Lovely properties....but perhaps a bit more "generic". Out of the two, I prefer Mayan....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far. I wouldn't say we are looking for high end, usually more middle range travelers. I could even go with somethings a little rustic with charm, with the diving and beach. We aren't oppose to kids being around, just taking the opportunity to not be limited to family friendly places. I will definitely check into the West Bay area and the properties you have mentioned. I have had some good experiences at larger resorts, but sometimes do prefer a smaller operation.

Any specific recommendations for a good, reliable, and fun dive operation on site or close by?

Thanks again!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

Oh! Okay...I'd take a peek at "Las Rocas", just at the end of WBB, it sits on the iron shore, a 1-2 minute walk to the sands in front of Fosters.

9. Re: Where to stay in August- anniversary trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 05:17