We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seahorses

Central Oregon
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Seahorses

I looked thru the previous posts, but the majority of seahorses were seen while diving. We are coming to Roatan at the end of April and was wondering what areas we would find seahorses while snorkeling? We are staying in Sandy Bay, but will be driving around the island too. Both Roatan & snorkeling with a seahorse are on my bucket list. :)

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seahorses

generally speaking you'll find seahorses in 20' - 40' of water, on or near a sandy bottom, so i guess it depends on how good you are at free diving ?

Moses Lake...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seahorses

We had a seahorse under our dock at Sundancers a couple of years back. A real cutie.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seahorses

divenuts is right. I've never seen a seahorse except while diving, and even then I had to let someone else find it for me. A dive master with really good eyes helps. But if I couldn't find it myself while diving, how can do I know I couldn't find it while snorkeling? You would have a better chance while free diving rather than just swimming on the surface. A lot of divers seem to love the tiny critters, but I prefer looking at the corals.

Lake Havasu City...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seahorses

This will be my 4th trip to Roatan, and always at the top of my list is to find a Seahorse. We will be there the end of April and really hoping to find at least one this time.

Central Oregon
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seahorses

Thanks everyone!

Not sure if I'm ready for diving, but may have to take it up! Had a really bad experience in Waikiki Hawaii where we didn't even practice in a pool or anywhere for that matter. They just tossed you in the ocean and did something for you to make you sink. I don't think I made it 3' when panic took over. My daughter got bloody noses too, but I've been thinking about it more & more that if I had proper instructions I would like it.

phoenicianone - we will be there April 27 - May 4 and will have my laptop, so will update if I ever find a seahorse and if you can too that would be great.

Lake Havasu City...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seahorses

Hello Charannag I will be there around that time. We will be there the 25th through the 2nd of May. That would be awesome. I will let you know if we see some.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seahorses

Become a diver .....

Central Oregon
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seahorses

divenuts - great idea. The only reason I'm even thinking about diving is I want to see a seahorse, so we are on board for learning to dive. Any recommendations in Roatan for first timers? How deep do you go as a newby? I only want to go as deep as can go without killing myself if I panic. LOL

phoenicianone - not sure where you are staying, but we will be at Hobbies Hideaway.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seahorses

charanneg, I sent you a PM about learning to dive in Sandy Bay. But then I reviewed the prices at Anthony's Key and Tranquil Seas for the Open Water certification and find it's $75 to $140 more at these shops than it would be at the West End shops. So you are paying more for the convenience of being close to where you are staying, or you are paying more because there is less competition on Sandy Bay. There are close to a dozen shops in West End that do the training, so that keeps their prices low.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seahorses

When we went for a little boat tour up to the mangroves our local boat driver said there were a lot of sea horses in the mangroves as they like hanging onto to the roots????? Not sure if this is true or not???? Any comments from the experts on that one???? I saw my first seahorse (and only one so far) in Grand Cayman when I was snorkeling just from the shore at Rum Point....so you don't necessarily have to be diving. My life felt somewhat complete after I saw him. One very, very, very cute little guy just swimming vertically along his way...he was in water about 10 feet deep or so.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan