We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

the midwest
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

ARe flying into roatan and spending one night before taking ferry over next day to utila. only have a few afternoon hours till check in for night -- what would be enjoyable experience-- give us best glimpse of Roatan culture ffrom 2pm till bedtime that day? I know it is short...planning on staying Las Rocas onWest end

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

Well... the reason you haven't gotten any good responses is that there are no real cultural experiences that suit your request.

First of all - most tourists can spend a week or two on the island and not really have any cultural experiences beyond the tourist culture. It is a destination for divers and vacationers and the culture of the island populace is a poverty-challenged day-to-day life that doesn't easily reveal itself to visitors.

I'll suggest a couple of possibilities. Get yourself and your luggage to Los Rocas and get settled.

Walk the length of West Bay Beach. Snorkel the far end. If you are beginners, snorkel inside the reef. If you are comfortable snorkelers, start straight out from Infinity Bay and hook left through a swimmers channel to the outside of the reef where you can snorkel all the way to the black rocks. Have a nice dinner somewhere... feed the eels at Bite on the Beach (right next to your lodgings) and call it a night.

Or take the water taxi to West End and walk around that goofy little tourist town. Grab cheap eats at Cafe Escondido - tell them that Idiot sent you. Or get on a collectivo headed toward Coxen Hole - these don't run all the way to West Bay Beach, but are easy to catch anywhere in West End. For 25 lemps ($1.25) I think you can ride all the way to CH with local folks, including a side trip into the colonias at Sandy Bay. At least you will see how regular folks live.

For an encounter with a true local "character" drop by Melvin Bodden's place in Sandy Bay. Bus can drop you here... just east of the school and four sets of speed bumps... lots of motorcycles and stuff around usually - and some wood carvings along the road. He's a wood carver who does what I'd call "folk art" and he will tell you stories and share a philosophy that seems to incorporate evangelical and mystical tenets along with Hakuna Matata and a touch of Bob Marley.

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,746 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Infinity Bay Spa and...
2,270 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Cafe Escondido
Cafe Escondido
460 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Coxen Hole
Coxen Hole
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Sandy Bay
Sandy Bay
Roatan, Honduras
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

This may be of interest..

http://steelpanalley.com/

West Bay, Honduras
Level Contributor
113 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

The two replies so far are good and my question is "What night of the week is it that you are here (Roatan)?" Your answer will generate a few more replies including one from me once we know what night it is.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
the midwest
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

Great suggestions and ideas ! Thanks so much~ we havent actually booked our one night stayover in roatan yet(even though looking at las rocas) so since not booked yet, second thought is wondering IF there are accommodations that could be walking distance to ferry in the morning and just stay close by the ferry dock for convenience next day (just needs to be" cleanish"-- simple is fine) and do the taxi/transportation bit on that thursday instead of doing the 1/2 hr taxi at 6ish in the morning? Am I off in the timing of where las rocas is from ferry?. thinking its about 1/2 hr? are there traffic issues between las rocas and the ferry between 6 and 7am? ferry leaves 7am? will it take longer than 1/2 hr to get to dock? wondering IF would be best to be walking distance to ferry instead . Place safe for foreigners?

the midwest
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

Thursday night (-:

West Bay, Honduras
Level Contributor
113 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

Right now on Thursday nights, there's Karaoke in West End at Blue Marlin, a popular live band, Brion James and the West End Players at Monkey Island who is pretty impressive and I believe a newer live band at Coconut Tree at the entrance to West End. These are all walking distance from each other once you get there. And there's the famous Thursday night Lobster Tail Dinner at Foster's on West Bay Beach close to where you are staying (walking distance). You could get settled, enjoy the waters of West Bay Beach as suggested, dinner at Foster's with live band, Kristofer and Kultura and then consider arranging transportation (consult with Los Rocas) to West End for some gringo culture night life and then retire for your Utila trip. By law, everything needs to be shut down at Midnight in West End. If you are not much into night life, West Bay Beach will be the place for you within a 15 minute walk along the beach from Los Rocas. Enjoy Roatan. Less than one day is not anywhere near long enough.

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
477 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,746 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

If you're planning on taking the ferry to la ceiba & then from there to utila that's an unnecessary waste of time. You can fly to utila for $180-200 roundtrip (10 mins) or get a local from Roatan or utila to take you direct in their boat for $100 rt (1-2 hrs)

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
West Bay, Honduras
Level Contributor
113 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

Captain Raymond runs from Roatan to Utila direct since Vern's catamaran service ended. Call him at 011-504-3200-7259 or 011-504-3216-5366 to book. Los Rocas is about as far to the West away from the Ferry as you can get (30 minutes). My accommodations are in Sandy Bay (15 minutes). And I'm 5 minutes from where Captain Raymond boats out of at the Coconut Tree dock in West End. To go to Roatan and then take the Ferry to La Ceiba to connect with the Utila Ferry makes absolutely no sense! Or, fly as suggested by the other poster. Feel free to contact me for further advice at my hotmail address once you have called Capt. Raymond. It's davebarons at hotmail dot ...........

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Sandy Bay
Sandy Bay
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

divernuts.....how often ?? and where do I check for the flights ?

are the flights from roatan to utila ? or la ceiba to utila only??

Mentioned in this post
Utila
Utila
Bay Islands, Honduras
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: experience something cultural stopping in Roatan for 1/2 day

flights can be arranged anyday/anytime through alice hill at worldwide travel on utila, she's the agent for several pilots that shuttle people between roatan and utila.