We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Temps?

Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Water Temps?

Anyone have any recent water temps? Trying decide which mil wetsuit to bring. Thanks!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Temps?

81 and clear. Fahrenheit. Sounds colder if you use Celcius. Why even bother to look? It's always 81 in the ocean in May.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Temps?

81 on the south side apparently according to CCV. Overall 82.4 according to this link:

www.sea-temperature.com/water/roatan/516

To me that means 0 mm. ;)

Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Temps?

Ok, thanks. The only reason I was asking is I was reading a recent review on a hotel and they reported 73 temp and figured maybe it was a typo, seemed a little odd in May , so I thought I better ask. LOL

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Temps?

Now you guys have me confused. I'm assuming you are talking surface temps. For snorkeling, we've never needed wetsuits in the time we are there... Feb. - March. I like a long sleeve rash guard. Idiot She just her normal bathing suit. On the other hand, I would think for diving one would need to know the temps typical at 30 or 60 feet down... wouldn't that determine the thickness of wetsuit advisable?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
658 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Temps?

Never have needed more than a 3 mil shortie for diving but some of the petite & lean divemasters wear long sleeved farmer browns.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Temps?

The water temperature in the Caribbean for diving is judged on surface temperature due to the fact that there is not a huge difference even at 100 feet. So most divers automatically factor in how their body will feel at depth based on past experience at that surface temp. Most divers that I know get cold on the boat more so than in the water. I prefer a t-shirt year round but I have a built in layer of insulation.

7. Re: Water Temps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:16