We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba report

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,220 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
scuba report

I realize that everyone has their own opinions about politics, art, and scuba sites, and th quality of a site can be influenced by weather. I'm just back from 2 weeks in West End and Paya Bay on the east, and the clear winner is (drum roll here): the west end. What I consider a good site is a place that has (in order of importance) dense healthy vibrant hard coral, awesome swim-thrus and canyons with sunlight streaming in, healthy sponges and soft coral, little fish, big fish. With luck (or by picking the right area and dive shop) you get all of the above with Roatan, but not at all sites all over the island. I managed to dive four areas and found profound differences, most of them positive.

After 8 prior trips to Roatan I have learned my favorite sites around West End. This year I got stuck with a dive master who for some reason thought that Roatan's famous canyons and caves and swim-thrus are unsafe, well beyond the abilities and competencies of your average 200-dive beginner. SO we were faced with day after day of boring reef crawls at sites off West Bay. Sort of like going to Squaw Valley and being confined to the bunny slopes day after day, watching the other kids get to ski the top of the mountain. BEgging and pleading did no good. Even in the hands of a dive master so expert as HE, were were in deep water (so to speak) risking our lives in open canyons. Of course he had no problem diving the Texas site, with the boat transom bucking up and down 4 feet out of the water as you try to grab the ladder. Since there are lots of other shops in West End, I guess the choice is simple. Too bad. I liked the shop otherwise.

So West End-Sandy Bay still rates as my favorite. Basically Blue Channel to Bear's Den.

Some heavy weather blew in from the north Friday and diving was cancelled over most of the island. Saturday the shop moved the boat around to Flowers Bay, where there was a fleet from a lot of the west shops. Two dives right off the shore here were spectacular. What was exceptional was the size and density of the soft coral, biggest sea fans I've ever seen in a true forest of soft coral. Also we ran into a fish ball composed of flashy fish, bigger than silver sides, and since they decided to hang around, we stayed with them and i got a 6 minute video of them. WOW.

Then I drove out and stayed at Paya Bay, a lovely place to take a date or spouse (why not both?) with well designed rooms, good food, a unique site, friendly people, good AC, wifi about 95% of the time, and a constant breeze. OK, so more of a wind than a breeze. The wind messed up the visibility inside the reef, so snorkeling was out. But perhaps because of the steady wind limiting sunlight, the hard coral isn't happy, so there is way less than there is further west. I've dived as far east as Turquoise Bay and did nor encounter this situation before. We dove at Pinnacles and Mongoose, which would be spectacular if you could see 15 feet, but it was spookier than Spooky Channel on a bad day. Pinnacles has formations where hard coral would LOVE to grow, but they were totally bare, lacking the necessary sunlight. So those far eastern sites along the north side were quite a disappointment to me.

But then last Thursday we found that 6 of us wanted to go dive at Pigeon Key, and with 6 sharing the boat fee, the ride was quite cheap. This was probably the highlight of my years on Roatan. We packed up lunch and headed out through the mangrove cut and dove Morat Wall, which I would include as a south side site rather than an east site. Then we landed at Pigeon Key and had it to ourselves. After lunch we rode a few hundred yards and dove the Pigeon Key site, with possibly the clearest water I have ever seen, a long valley of huge barrel sponges, and one very testy green morey (2 minutes of video). Then on the way home we stopped at La Sirena for a Salva Vida and to watch the kite boarders enjoy the local wind.

Maybe that's the rule: if there are lots of kite boarders inside the reef, maybe it's not a great place to scuba.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba report

Thanks for your observations!

Will have to consider the triples available at Paya Bay...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba report

Yes thank you! Would love to see your videos and pics!?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba report

Hauk i have dove up at pigeon twice the vis last time was about 30 ft but man that is one of my faves, we saw the largest lion fish I've ever seen, also some of the biggest barrel sponges ever, Spectacular site for sure. They call the dive site there "The Elbow"

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba report

@harvy: 30 feet of viz, and a very large lionfish make a dive site good? Not sure thats a ringing endorsement. I'm trying to figure out if its worth heading that way for some diving or just stick to the west? Sounds like you think it is.

Great report though Dhauk. We definitely disagree in priorities of good diving but thats what makes diving personal...different strokes.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: scuba report

Seems someone in their criticism forgot the part about the largest barrel sponges. If Visibility is the main factor then there are a lot of swimming pools that must be the best dives in the world even without life in them. One of my favorite dives is a shallow cave dive, great vise, usually about 4 hours long and very little life.

If this was a dive in Fiji and there were abundant giant lionfish then it would be popular, is it bad just because the fish do not belong? If it were the Florida Keys and there were Giant sponges would it be popular if only 30 foot vis?? How far do you need to see? Unless doing wide angle scenery pictures then 30 foot vis is way more than needed for any good photography and lets be honest, if Visibility in itself defines a site then all around the Cayman Islands blow Roatan away as they consistently have much better visibility around the three islands even if the underwater life is not as enjoyable at least you can see the lack of life much clearer

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scuba report

I guess thats why I go to Cayman every year ;)

Its amazing how people have different priorities with rating dive sites.

Your cave dive would be very boring to me. But I'm glad you enjoy it.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
398 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scuba report

Nice report dhauk!!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,220 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scuba report

I respect the "different strokes" philosophy, brennand pm, but I hope you have at least had the opportunity to try the caves in Roatan. Generally those that are on the scuba tour are roomy with sand bottoms and openings in the ceiling that allow the sunlight to stream in, very Gothic cathedral-like. And instead of stained glass, you have schools of glassy sweepers, a fish that looks like a helicopter but with huge eyes (the better to see in the dark). Very cool. With proper application of your flashlight, you can get the fish to swirl. I agree that a black featureless cave would be pretty boring.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: scuba report

Brennan not sure what your point is hauk said he enjoyed diving up at pigeon I also enjoyed it up there the wind up there is more of a factor as it is exposed so can affect the vis but the reef is in great shape as far as my experience diving and knowledge I have a home in the west side as u put it and we are in roatan 10 plus times a yr so am pretty familiar with what sites are like there

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scuba report

I was actually just making a joke. Apparently not very funny. I was joking about the fact that your description of 40 foot viz and a big lionfish arent really used to describe a great Caribbean dive spot. I wasn't disputing the fact that its a great site, I'm sure you know a good spot when you see one, I was just amused at your choice of qualifiers.