We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to pay departure tax in West End

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to pay departure tax in West End

I seem to recall seeing several posts that indicated that the departure tax could be paid at a bank in West End. I have searched and cannot find these posts. Did I dream this or is this possible and where is the bank?

Thanks

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

The Departure tax is paid at the bank at the airport

Edited: 13 May 2013, 21:27
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

As soon as you check in at the airline counter, the bank is right behind you. They are very helpful in directing you right to it. We paid $39US each.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

Its a tiny airport, even with the recent expansion, You cant miss the bank . tax pay place

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

pay cash - if you use a credit card it is treated as a cash advance and you pay the fee for cash advances and the fee for foreign transactions...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
77 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

Funny story, the other week departing Roatan, I go to the bank at the airport, ask to pay for two adult departure tax, the lady says $78 so I give her $80 she gives me $1 back, I said didn’t you say it was $78 she looks at me and says yes so what is your problem, I said well should I not get back $2 she said no it is the exchange rate. Needless to say I didn't argue as I just wanted to make sure I could leave, but I guess if they do that often enough they probably make a small fortune, and looking at their cash draw they make plenty of money it was stacked with money, along with the $1 they owed me. I guess you just have to suck it up no matter what dealing with them.

Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
577 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

I wondered the same thing. I paid $80 for mysel and hubby and gave her 800 lempiras for my daughter. I only got $1 back. I looked at my receipt it's 39.24 per person. Shouldn't i have been given back about $2.25?

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

Just know that american cents are normally not cash-able in Honduras and the bank usually don't/can't have cents, so if the rate is $39.24 x 2 = $78.48 that would get rounded to $79.00 unless you want the change in Lempiras which I guess you can perfectly ask for

Not excusing the bank though

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,680 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

But if you are rounding and the smallest denomination is one dollar... wouldn't that round down to $78.00 since the 0.48 is less than 0.50 or does it always round up in Honduras?

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
821 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

(on 05/26/13) We threw them $80 (for 2) and for the $1 change they instead gave us 5 Lempiras back (which is worth 25 cents US). We have been to Roatan more than thirty times, so my wife knew she was getting hosed, but since you always are, and this didn't do anything else than amuse us, she just walked away. My cousin also tossed them $80 and she got the full 20 Lempiras ($1) in return. She looks less like a tourist than my wife, so that might be why.

The entire $39.50 (current) fee is predicated on the fact that you will not get change back, so yes- it is a niggling system that imposes another fee... imagine that in Honduras. Gotta love the place... we do. Some folks in our group handed them $39 in dollars and a full 50 pennies. They came prepared to annoy. The cashiers were not deterred, they just swept the uncounted pennies into a container.

This departure tax used to be funneled to the mainland where it was never to be seen again (leading to the non-payment of the airport's electric bill a few years back- I'll let your mind wander on the effect of that for a few months), but now there is enough local power structure over the process that the fees are accounted for through and island based bank, thus hi-jinks ensue.

Most all airports in paradise (and elsewhere) collect this fee, but it is rolled into your ticket price. Honduras is so rife with the expected and institutionalized skim that, once again, allowing something as accountant heavy as a real live Airline would certainly lead to a decrease in "revenue" (for somebody or the other).

I'm sure that the "gate tax" at O'Hare is all accounted for, as well.

10. Re: Where to pay departure tax in West End

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Roatan