We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

then you must have patience, since you won't be alone. On some days the airport only serves a few smaller planes bound for Central American destinations. But on Saturday the big planes pass through, sometimes as many as 5, and they all want to depart early afternoon. The counter check-in and the gate departures are all handled by airport personnel (I would guess they are federal employees) not airline personnel. So you could be standing in line to check in for a United flight and suddenly the agents are just GONE. Well, it's time for them to go out to the gate to board the passengers of another flight scheduled out before yours. Once it has departed, they suddenly reappear and continue checking in your flight. I don't know who gets priority if one on the flights arrives late, but it's probably not the one you're on. I think this makes a lot more sense than having Delta having its own airport staff to handle one flight a week.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

Great to know, because of course, we're leaving on a Saturday : )

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

dhaulk ... did you notice any improvements !!! ?? with the new renovation and expansion that they were in the middle of a mess with when we left in march,,

anything we can look forward to when we return,,?? although your post tells us we can rely on the usual for check in !!!! LOL !! I will give credit though the airport staff are definately multi-taskers that is for sure !!!! I am convinced the same fellow that put the sticker tags on our bag was the same fellow that I saw through the plane window doing the clearance for the back up !!!!!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

zoey, It LOOKS a lot better, but I'm not sure that it amounts to more efficiency. The immigration room has several windows, and you all wait in one line., rather than getting stuck in the slow-moving line. I don't recall the customs procedure other than the xray for carry0ons. Then you are spilled into the greeting hall, which is now joined with the check-in hall to form one large spacious room. So tt looks more clean and modern. But of course all that air conditioning is defeated when the Saturday afternoon check-in line stretches out through the doors.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

And the new food kiosk - made to order sandwiches - was an improvement in terms of freshness and cleanliness. I was impressed.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
230 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

We travelled Wed to Wed so there was only our United plane to deal with the lines. Leaving the island only took about 15 minutes in line, and then into the large waiting area with the sandwich place...Huge sandwiches, and $2 beer and $1 water. We lucked out with the no other planes arriving or leaving.

WI
Level Contributor
371 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

We are flying Delta (Sat-Sat).... in your OP it sounds like they have there own staff is that true....we also fly business do they have a prefered lane??

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

I've never used it, but I think I heard there is a business class lounge at the airport... lattes, cookies, massages... the usual... and I believe they provide a litter to carry you across the tarmac to the plane...

:-)

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

Halliewd,

I don't know about the staff but I do know there is a premier member lane when checking in. When I left in March there was a snag with the computers even though I was the second in the premier lane I waited close to 30 mins.

I don't get to bothered by such things..the plane is not leaving with me standing at check in.

Edited: 02 June 2013, 16:11
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

Halliewd, No i think that Delta uses the same personnel as all the other airlines, i.e. not their own employees. There is a preferred lane (I guess the rest of us are non-preferred) but if the all checkers just leave suddenly to work another flight that's boarding, everyone is going to wait for them to return. But true the flight is not going to leave without you. It;s just that a delay on one airline could delay the other departures. There just aren't enough personnel to check in all the flight AND board them at the same time. I imagine that most of the time this goes well, except when it doesn't.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: leaving Roatan on a Saturday?

At the Manuel Galvez RTB Airport as of 6/1/13: There is a Honduran styled dopplganger of a Starbucks on the far East end. Good coffee, passable microwaved (yet cold) empenadas, pastries. Theoretical employees.

Once you get into the departure lounge, there are two very long term hardgoods merchants who will sell you last minute stuff to drag home for your cat sitter. Some of it is insanely priced, some higher end items are quite on the money.

There is also a sandwich vendor booth with all sorts of other edibles. Safe and good.

The staff, as mentioned above, comes and goes, and for all I know, they might be the same people, but different airlines deploy greater or lesser numbers of them to process. As might be expected in Honduras, a full ten minutes transpires with them re-arranging the security check tables, the chairs, and most importantly, changing over the crowd-control ribbons and stanchions to represent the next corporation;s Aircraft colors. It simply wouldn't do to have a United cattle coral tape being used for and American flight. (Everyone has a job... keep repeating that)

The airport recently added gates #3 and #4. Because of the limitation of the seating area and the multi-purpose gate attendants, I don't see them needing four distinct options of exiting any time soon. It is nice however, that you can now see the taxiway and are no longer blind to the comings and goings of aircraft.

I would suggest that as you arrive at the Airport, you should first determine which one of you is the most easygoing and calm. Hand them your paperwork and follow them. You should begin a proven regimen of sedation to make this annoying end of your trip to paradise a bit easier.

BTW- they seem to have quit confiscating batteries and bug spray (which you shoulda' left at the resort, anyway), but now they are snapping BIC lighters out of your carry-on at the pre-board final physical intrusion. So- first walk into the lounge through the xray and magnetometer with such dangerous things in your carry-on, then while eating a Honduran treat (in your Demerol induced haze), remember to transfer them to your pocket.

Everybody's gotta job.

Edited: 02 June 2013, 22:44