We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
748 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

Starting to do some prelim research for hopefully a return trip next year. For the markets myself and group need to fly out of, airfare on United is right around $600 for all dates except right around 2/21 to 3/8, when it jumps to $800 and $1000. It's not Easter, but is there some other holiday I'm not aware of? Maybe just end of Feb, beginning of March, those two weeks are prime season? I've not seen pricing like this the last 2 years. We always travel mid-week to keep the costs down, but even during that couple of week period there don't seem to be any deals.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

My experience of decades of hunting for air fares is that anything over more than 6 months in advance will not give you any 'deals'. Three months to 4 weeks before is usually a good time to check (holiday season excluded). In any case constant checking pays off :-)

It can be addictive :-)

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

Well last year we booked in July 2012 for March 2013. $423 out of DCA for RTB, and $500 out of PNS. That is half of what we paid the year before booking in November 2011 for March 2012. I fully understand the supply and demand aspect of airfare pricing, I was just wondering if there is some demand issue during those 2 weeks that I am not aware of.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

Last year the airfares for us in March 2013 on United hit bottom around July, at a little less than $600 each for us RT, and just went up from there. Luckily, we ticketed then at $543, but had we moved earlier, it would have been close to $500. If we'd waited a couple more weeks, we would have paid hundreds more.

March is into the "spring break" time, and that's my hypothesis as to the higher cost of airfare in March. Last year, we took the cheaper airfare and left the last week in Feb. This year, however, my spring break is the first week in March, so I'm afraid we're going to be priced out of our trip. Still hoping, however : )

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
748 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

cd; do you remember about when the fare was around $500? Thanks. I remember hugging you at Infinity Bay lobby when you all were leaving. Hope to see you again next year. We may have to move our trip back a week to March 10- March18.

WI
Level Contributor
371 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

famous

so you book your flight and Infinity Bay seperate?...can I aske what you paid for IB.....we booked a package for next Feb hoping we got a good deal

winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
285 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

We booked about 3 weeks ago thru Delta Vacations for 2/22 to 3/1 for the 3 of us. I think ( hope ) we got a good deal for the package.

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

I have been looking for April and I have just started noticing some decreases now the 330 days or 11 months are passed!.

I was doing the same thing for Europe airfares last fall and kept thinking surely they would go lower and I kept checking and waiting and actually ended up paying about 250 more per ticket! Not going to get caught this time.

Hawley, Minnesota
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

We are traveling March 1-8. I have been looking at prices. Paid $800 last year from MSP. Hoping prices go down, quite high right now.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

Dear Famouschinese,

I remember our reunion last year, as well! I believe it was in July that we booked airfares. Not certain if that will happen again. I remember that the fares dropped as a "wave", so first the airfares dropped week by week in January, and then February, etc. through United. I caught last year's airfare just as the "wave" was rising in February and March. I don't know if that's a yearly pattern, because the year before, we booked on Continental before it was purchased by United, and they didn't have the same little nifty gizmo to see what airfares are on a day-to-day basis. I think we paid close to $750 for those airfares on Continental 2 years ago.We rented through an owner at around $140/day, so I'm not certain how that compares to a package, to answer another person's question. Hope we see you there this year, again!!

Edited: 05 June 2013, 05:51
Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anybody looking for airfare for March 2014 yet?

cdbeardie:

Would you mind sharing what the "little nifty gizmo" is on the United website? What do I look for to access it ?

Thank you.