We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

My last visit to Roatan was great with one teensie tiny complaint.... that we didn't get a feel for Island cuisne or Honduran foods aside from the baleadas. The restaurants we visited were very mainstream-American foods. I get enough of that here in the US... I want Honduran and island foods! :)

Any suggestions on where to get the island food/typical honduran food fix?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

well almost any place you go will serve you sides of rice and beans and plantains. They probably serve main dishes that they think foreigners will like. Maybe you have to go into Coxen Hole. I think that places in Los Fuertes would serve mainland food. There is a string of restaurants on the way into Jonestown that can certainly fix you right up. Probably a good idea to park your car so it's headed out.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 02:12
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

I'll check that place out. And if not, I'm very happy with rice, beans and platanos! Thanks!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

Maybe it is because Honduras doesn't have a really famous local cuisine. Not a rich country. Not a long Indian heritage outside of Copan and those folks left long ago. Baledas are about the best I've found. On the islands you want to take the opportunity to eat seafood. Mainland... beef is grass fed so unless it has been hit by a bus tends to be tough as steaks. Bamboo chicken is exotic...that's iguana. But not wide spread. Pollo al Brasso. You can always find the dish based on the South American Andean sun calendar...pizza.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

i love honduras but honestly the food is the worst in central america (if not all the americas). in the last 8 years, i've travelled all around the country and i've only discovered one great honduran cuisine restaurant and thats hacienda san lucas in copan.

imho its better to stick with the food/restaurants that are geared towards visitors.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

I've never been to other Central American countries so I can not say if Honduras has the worst food. I have traveled to the mainland most of my life since that is where my family lives and there is nothing as simple yet satisfying as hand made flour tortillas, beans, local cheese and local sour cream for breakfast. I've had seafood soups made with freshly grated coconut juice, rustic beef soups with large chunks of vegetables, a variety of tamales, lunches that always include rice and black bean mixture and either green or sweet plantains. Add to that "street foods" such as pupusas and tajaditas which are fried green plantains topped with cabbage and meat. Yes, very poor ingredients but none the less great and flavorful food when it's all cooked from scratch. I'll try stopping at local food stands and go into some places in Coxen Hole as suggested... maybe there i can find the foods that the locals cook at home for their families.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

One more thing, my seafood intake has been highly limited and no deep water fish for me... pregnant woman here. :)

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

In Sandy Bay, you can try Marilyn's (next to Blue Bahia), El Paso (if you take the paved turn-off to the beach in Sandy Bay across from Melvin the woodcarver, and then turn right, next to the rocks), and if you take the same turn-off, but turn to the left, there's a little convenience store called Elizabeth's, and they also sell plates of food there (not much of a seating area, but they can pack you a to-go plate).

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

If you are in west bay there is a cassetta (sp.?) in the ally way beside Bananarama about halfway between Bananarama and west bay mall that has typical island food. Whole fried fish, I had the garlic shrimp today was awesome for 12 dollars u get rice beans, plantains, a salad and a lot if shrimp In a garlic vegetable sauce. A new fave. also for 6 bucks u can get 2 pastelitos at las rocas the best I've had.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

depending on the day and the amount of traffic, you'll see a fair number of roadside cooking establishments along the West End strip. Usually some on Half Moon Bay Beach...

last year there was a place down to the south that was using a simple seating area on the beach side and the menu consisted of chicken the guy was grilling as you walked by... and rice and beans and tortillas. When we ordered beers the waitress ran across the road to a bar for some cold ones.

When I was parked in the lot next to Captain Van's car rental ... central part of the West End strip... there was a lady with several grills who seemed to be doing a booming business... most folks didn't eat there - this was lunch time - they'd walk or drive by (several taxi drivers stopped) and get a styrofoam plate heaped full of food and covered with tin foil. The typical serving looked like it would feed two of us and there'd be leftovers.

But I find myself reluctantly agreeing with divenuts... I enjoy the simple food a few times each trip, but compared with the complex cuisines in Mexico and Guatemala, we have been surprised by the simplicity and lack of variety of Central American food on Roatan. Most of the time I'd rather go home and have a piece of fish or shrimp and some good fruit and vegetables...

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants with typical island and honduran food

I wouldn't say Honduras has the worst cooking in Central America...I've been to them all. Belize is close. Yeh..it has conch if you don't believe in karma. But it also has cowsfoots soup. I'd put down the recipe but it might get removed as obscene.