We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West End vs West Bay

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
West End vs West Bay

My family, two adults and two teen daughters (17 and 19) are looking to spend two weeks in Roatan. After doing much reading I am now confused, can someone please explain to me the differences between West End and West Bay? I recognize they are two different places, but can't sort out the differences. Thank you very much.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West End vs West Bay

Hi!

I'm sure you will get some replies, but for a more comprehensive look I want to point out something it took we a while to realize.

Like all of us, I've been frustrated by generalized searches of the web that give thousands of hits that require lots of wading through to find exactly what I'm looking for.

TA has a very cool feature. Right above your question is a second kind of search box - lets you search just within the TA Roatan forum. I put in your title and found several good discussions of this topic - certainly one of the most frequently asked questions as it is the basic issue faced by every first time visitor if you rephrase it West End vs. West Bay vs. everyplace else on Roatan.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West End vs West Bay

Thank you for your reply - I am familiar with the search feature and I did indeed try that first. The only post within the last year had only two responses, one of which was from you making the same point about search and this being the most common question posted.

I know a couple of years can make a huge difference in vacation destinations, which is why I was hesitant to accept old information. Before we commit to a two week vacation and the associated costs, I am hoping someone will be able to give me updated information and opinions on the two areas. thank you.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: West End vs West Bay

Things haven't changed much at all on Roatan in terms of the differences between these two areas. No matter which you decide upon, the other is still easily accessed by water taxi

You specifically mention the ages of your children. I'll focus on that, as you are...

West End is a great place for 17 & 19 yo daughters who are smart travelers, have their heads on tight and know how to handle themselves. It is not Cancun by any stretch, but if you want to feel the party vibe, this is the place to meet other like minded young people. Backpackers, student travelers, Divemaster interns and an array of locals descend on the various bars and have loud music and the things we used to do. West End is also the location for "shopping", and they might like that aspect- but there's only so much Guatemalan import stuff that can catch your eye. In that regard, it is flooded with Cruise Ship guests often during the daylight hours~ you may look at that as good or bad. It is the place to be if you're young and free. Remember those days?

West Bay? It's a pricier area, and that dictates the majority of the company. It is a socially subdued collection of resort properties. The entertainment that they might be involved in there would be highly localized to the properties and be hardly comparable to West End in terms of intensity or volume. If you have doubts about their social abilities, this would be a place to keep them on a leash.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 15:17
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West End vs West Bay

I swear I write this once a week:

West Bay = larger low-rise resorts, families, long gorgeous beach, lots of pools and bars, great snorkeling

West End= smaller hotels, no resorts, not much beach, young & single, bars & restaurants, lots of dive shops, fabulous snorkeling, way cheaper

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West End vs West Bay

Yup, dhauk you got it just about right......... however we also love those elevated walks around Lighthouse Estates, Turtle Crossing and Turret's to get the blood flowing after another great day on WBB.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West End vs West Bay

Perhaps a week in both would work?

Something else to think about, if the girls are beach lovers & beach loungers....WBB might be the best bet. While West End does have the very pretty Half Moon Bay its not on the same level if you are a beach lover.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West End vs West Bay

I'm thinking about whether I would want to see my college-age daughters staying in West End, and my answer is "no way". I probably wouldn't want to see my daughter go off to college either, if I had one. But from their perspective I think that they would enjoy being more in their element than they would at West Bay, hanging out with old folks, you know, those of us over 40. And West Bay might seem too much like Miami Beach to them, while WE is a funky little town, probably more memorable. You don't say what it is they like to do during the day. Are they satisfied lying on the sand working on their sunburns? Or are they more active looking to enjoy the water and the reef? Roatan is one of the best places on the planet to learn to scuba dive: lots of shops, very low prices (about $300), and great diving after getting your certification. And that would fill up some of their free time thus avoiding boredom. Tou could stay in more luxurious West Bay and let them hop the water taxi to West End every morning. I do appreciate that certainly with a 19yo you don't really "let" them do anything.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 16:41
Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West End vs West Bay

....and, in case you cant decide, they are physically close to each other on the same end of Roatan...just a water taxi or a longish walk apart.

We prefer West End because it is has a bit more local flavor as opposed to basically just resorts only in West Bay.

9. Re: West End vs West Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Roatan
Recent Conversations