We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diet Pepsi ?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Diet Pepsi ?

Can anyone tell me if Eldon's (or Plaza Mar) carries Diet Pepsi ? Morning drink of choice for one of our traveling companions. This will be our 3rd trip to Roatan and I know that Eldon's has a lot of common products, but I specifically want to find out about the Diet Pepsi. Thanks in advance!

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
711 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Diet Pepsi ?

I haven't looked through the carbonated section for about 4 months, but... I'll give you here a bit of rambling history and a bit of fun perspective.

Diet Pepsi is an acquired taste and I agree, it has more going for it than Diet Coke. I have gotten a few cans of it while on Roatan, but the flavor that we are used to back in the States- the sharp, peppery taste out of a (plastic) bottle, the cans aint makin' it. That was a fluke, anyway.

The Cola Wars hit Roatan at full speed about 25 years ago- there were competing signs erected all over the Western 1/3 of the island. The soda machines with different signage appeared and began to rust as they were plugged in. It spawned two radio stations~ and it becomes obvious who would own the stations when you think about the only advertisable commodity in that economy... Grocery Stores.

Radio broadcasting on the FM band took on a different tone than we are used to. It was like the announcers were on crack- screaming and howling between records. Even though the majority of the money on the Island spoke English, the announcers were Spanish. The music wasn't Jimmy Buffet. But I diverge.

Long story short... Coke won the war. I have noticed that Diet Pepsi (my favorite) seems to degrade from its out-of-the-plant flavor very quickly when exposed to heat. As a side note, the real-deal Cola is likely made with sugar cane versus what our North American taste buds have been made accustomed... Corn Syrup.

Locals (Spaniards) used to generically call everything Fresca (from the actual Spanish word, clever these marketers!) or variously "Teem" which was a popular brand that held market share unlike the US sales. During the 1998 Hurricane, there were no in-bound shipments of Coke, so when the available choices dwindled down to Dr. Pepper, a new surge in the sales of that brand occurred. They had never really tried it before the period of desperation, but when they did, it became a hit. I think you can even find Diet Dr. Pepper. Go figure.

As with anything else, I wouldn't count on it, but I will wait for local denizens and regular shoppers to chime in. To say that Eldon's "has a lot of common products", it depends on what you mean by "common" and if you eliminate the norm of being out of stock.

A real story, often shared by local inhabitants.... You find something you like at the grocery, and it gets bought out and there is now an empty space on the shelf. You ask the manager to get more and he says, "Oh no, it sold out too fast". I kid you not, that's how they look at things.

Bottom line is: I don't know if you can get it anywhere on Roatan. I will put money on that you can't get it on Utila or Guanaja. But, I just thought you might be amused by the story.

Good luck!

Edited: 23 August 2013, 12:02
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diet Pepsi ?

Thanks for the story, Will... love to get a sense for the history...

mlucky - Will referenced something that may well affect your guest. Even if you do find Diet Pepsi, it is likely that it is not the same Diet Pepsi your friend likes.

My wife is a daily Diet Coke drinker... but she won't drink it on our international travels. The recipe is different and not appealing to her. So far she has tested this in Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, Central and South America - always with the same result. Different stuff.

(good-hearted rant begins here...)

While I sympathize with your friend and his/her "creature of habit" morning routine... doggone it, you are in another country!

You are someplace else - celebrate the differences rather than trying to recreate your home in a foreign location! If you crave the carbonation - try some of the different fruit flavored drinks... I like some of the citrusy ones in particular... and who knows, your friend might even like tamarind - not something we see on our soda shelf very often...

It is probably the caffeine your friend needs in the morning, combined with the habit of carbonation and sweet - so try the Diet Pepsi, though the Diet Coke there might actually be closer to the Diet Pepsi your freind is used to... but geez... are we really so wrapped up in ourselves that we will have a PROBLEM is we can't find Diet Pepsi?

And iced coffee... either straight, or with sweetened condensed milk for those not frightened by calories... or a touch of cream and artificial sweetener... not something he/she might drink at home, but lovely in the tropics in the morning... a pot of coffee in the fridge overnight...

(more serious rant follows)

Heard a person in a camp in the Serengeti lamenting the fact that only caffienated Diet Coke was available... not their favored no-caffiene sort... while in the middle of a safari that took them half way around the world for tens of thousands of dollars only to eat western-style meals in western-style accommodations spent primarily with westerners except for the local folks providing services.

No doubt they went home to tell their friends how wonderful this exotic experience was... and how lovely their Tanzanian guide was... what was his name again???

chicago
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Diet Pepsi ?

There was diet Pepsi at Eldons when I was in Roatan in June of this year. I also found it in single serve bottles at both the market and sandwich shop on the road behind Bananarama. Sorry I don't remember the name of the strip mall.

chicago
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diet Pepsi ?

Looked up the name of the strip mall referenced above. It's west bay beach mall. The market is Mangiamos deli/market. The other sandwich shop is the Hungry Munky. I was able to sooth my diet Pepsi addiction using these 2 places once I ran out of the supply from Eldons. (Should have bought more @ Eldons). :)

Edited: 23 August 2013, 19:16
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diet Pepsi ?

Thank you all for your wonderfully interesting information! Love, Love, Love Roatan and we are looking forward to our 3rd trip to the most beautiful place on Earth!

6. Re: Diet Pepsi ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Roatan