We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan Diving with tween

scottsdale, az
Level Contributor
19 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Roatan Diving with tween

We are looking at a Spring 2014 trip to either Roatan or Belize with our newly minted Open Water Diving 12 year old. Belize diving is great but most of the things to see are beyond 55 feet, so I"m alittle wary about taking our son there for his first diving adventure. Some friends have suggested Roatan instead. If you have local knowledge of diving in Roatan, please share. Also, are there some really *nice* accomodations? One adult in our party doesn't dive, so we need a nice place for him to hang out. We prefer not to "rough it". Thank you!!!

Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roatan Diving with tween

I would think there is more above 55 feet to see at some of the shallower reefs so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Also keep in mind that 55 feet is a recommended depth for a Jr OW. I am not telling you, you should take your child deeper than that just telling you that if you feel it is safe you can. My kids were certified in Grand Cayman where 100+ foot wall dives are common. We normally just stayed up shallower and followed the divers on the wall from above. There was tons to see. As my older son became more proficient and comfortable we would increase his depth. At 13 he dove the Blue Hole to 140ft. He is an excellent diver with great buoyancy control. Ultimately it all depends on conditions and your skills as a diver.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
814 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roatan Diving with tween

You might also consider Utila; much of the diving is less than 55 feet as the reefs are close to shore. There are some excellent accommodations for the non-diver and great snorkelling.

Atlanta, Georgia
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roatan Diving with tween

If you stay in the West Bay area there are many nice dives that are within the 55 foot depth. The reef to the left of Infinity Bay is frequented by people who snorkel and don't dive. West Bay is also very family oriented with lots of restaurants along beautiful stretch of sugar soft sand and really calm waters.

My 15 year old got open water certified this summer (60 ft limit) and had a wonderful time. We used the Bananarama Dive shop as we had used them previously and run a small shop with wonderful instructors, very small dive groups. We were able to taylor our dives to my son's comfort level. Turns out he's part fish and a better diver than me (lol). There are mutiple great reviews for other dive shops in West Bay and West End.

If you are looking for more upscale accomodations look at Infinity Bay. It's a condo complex and can be booked for less money using VRBO and renting directly from the owners. It has a beautiful pool. We have stayed there the last 4 times we visited Roatan.

I have not stayed there, but Mayan Princess also gets good reviews and is a very pretty property.

Take a look at the hotel reviews from the link at the top banner.

4. Re: Roatan Diving with tween

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 05:17