We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

Can you tell me if you can get things like citronella candles and various other "natural" mosquito repellents in West End or at Eldons?

Also I have searched the forums but for an update..is Woody's in West End an okay grocery store for regular staples or only at Eldon's?

I have read almost exclusively people going to Eldon's but wondered as Woody's would be closer for us.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

There are two or three wanna be markets in West End...and Woody's. Along with them and the fruit/veggies trucks you may well be able to find much of what you want.

I shop at Woody's on occasion but of I am truly looking to feed myself I hop a mini bus in to Coxen Hole.

Being an island when you shop is a factor, when the shipments come to restock, then the weather factor. ..there are time none of the markets have what I seek. One learns to eat and prepare what is available.

We had snow so deep here one year, the trucks stopped coming, the markets selves were getting bare and let us not even talk about bread, milk, and eggs. None were about. I wandered about thinking the place looked so much like the markets on Roatan just before the supplies arrived.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 02:27
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

Do you have any tips for timing you can share? We just booked flights last night for into Roatán and out of Guatemala for June/July 2014 and will be preparing most of our own meals. :-D Last time on Roatán (2011) we stopped a few times at the big market outside Coxen Hole since we were splitting 2 weeks between Camp Bay and the eastern part of Sandy Bay. This trip we'll be in West End.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

I am sorry Hopefulist ~ I have never bothered enough to pay attention to when the boat comes. Shawnda may know, she spends most of the winter down there... KanM_13 may know as well, he often sounds like an expat local.

With Eldon's right next to Plaza Mar (both in Coxen Hole) now, I manage to find what I think I need, if not I change up my needs. :0)

Edited: 12 October 2013, 14:27
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

No worries - we'll likely buy baked goods, fruit, and vegies in West End anyway.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
587 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

The boats usually come in on Wednesdays, but it takes a 1/2 day or so to stock the shelves. And of course storms and other things can delay the ships. Its not uncommon to have have staples such as milk, eggs, etc not on the shelves for weeks on end. Oh and by the way, milk and creme both freeze well !!!

Edited: 13 October 2013, 00:08
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

Thanks - good to know!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

The main boat that supplies Eldon"s is Hyde Shipping/Hyber which leaves Miami on Monday and arrives Roatan on Friday, Eldon's last name is Hyde, then it needs to be inspected by Aduano/Customs and unloaded and then each bill of laden must be cleared, Depending on size of shipment, family and other relationships some cn receive goods as early as Monday's. Then it must be taken into consideration that the Aduano agents may forget to come into work, might be late, computer systems might be down, power may be out, and a multitude of other issues that can delay the receiving of goods

www.hydeshipping.com/3/default.asp…

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

Do you know if they sell citronella candles and other mosquito deterrents at any of the stores or should we bring them?

Obviously we have to have grocery shopping planned ahead of time judging by what has been said here!

I certainly plan on using the local vendors where I can. in fact looking forward to that kind of shopping!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

Many kinds of repellents available, natural, deet, picariden, burn coils, etc..

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in West End and Eldon's-two part question

It's not that hard in our experience to just make do with the local shops. We did 2 big Plaza Mar runs last visit (2011) but in 2006 we rented a tiny house in Sandy Bay, west of Anthony's Key Resort. We just used the little shops in West End and a teeny market at the top of our road. You'll have less variety and pay more, maybe, but that's part of the cultural experience. ;-)