We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

I'm looking for some information about scuba diving in Mahogany Bay, Roatan. I'm taking a cruise to this port in December and would like to go scuba diving while here. I'm hoping for some tips or recommendations about companies you have dove with, destinations you have gone to, what you saw under the water and how it compared to other dive spots around the world.

Mentioned in this post
Mahogany Bay
Mahogany Bay
58 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

There s no diving "in" Mahogany Bay, there are various operators that offer cruise excursions, doesn't the ship offer some?

Mentioned in this post
Mahogany Bay
Mahogany Bay
58 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

Felicia - Roatan is a premier dive location and there are excursions designed for cruise shippers.

Two pieces of advice

One - you are fairly new to posting on the TA forums, so you may not have notice there are two search boxes on this page. I understand the frustration of using a generalized search, but the second one, located just above your post, can be very helpful. It can search just within the Roatan forum. The results will come back in a relevance order, but you can also sort it by date. You might try " cruise scuba excursion" and various combinations to benefit not from just whomever happens to be around to answer your post but from posters over the past years.

Two - TA has a sister organization for cruise shippers ,,, I believe it is Cruise Critic... and I'm told you will find lots more information of excursions that are a good fit with ship schedules...

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

They have one option but as experienced divers, we prefer to go with companies that cater more towards experienced divers, not just first time divers. I was hoping to hear more about people's personal experiences scuba diving in this area, what I can expect the diving to be like, and if they had any preference over a particular company to go dive with.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

idiotsabroad:

I came to Trip ADVISER looking for ADVISE about people's personal experiences scuba diving in this area. As an avid and experienced scuba diver, I like to do my research before I travel from other scuba divers and am looking specifically for people have dove in this area before to tell me about their time there, what they saw, and the companies that they selected. I am allowed to post any forum I want on Trip Adviser and look to read people's response and ADVISE about the question I had.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

Felicia,

Even the most experienced divers when staying for a week or more generally have a first very basic intro dive. Any boat you dive from will likely be set for cruise shippers schedule even if it is not the ship excursion. The first dive with new people unfamiliar to the divemaster will almost always be a pretty basic simple dive , as an experienced diver I am sure you realize this. Heck, even the hardcore 25-30 dive a week folks at Cocoview do an orientation dive first

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

no matter how experienced a diver you are you will be lumped in with other cruisers who are on the island that day because of your schedule, this is true for any destination you may go to on a cruise.

deep dives, off the beaten path dives, shark dives, searching for whale sharks etc. etc. will probably be off limits to you due to the time you have to be back on board.

however, don't be discouraged the diving around roatan is some of the best in the whole caribbean, you will have good dives even if they are shallower/shorter/more crowded than you'd prefer.

have fun!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

i have no experience diving right at MB. I seriously doubt that anyone dives there. There are sites just to the east that are well regarded. Most of the diving on Roatan is done along the west and northwest shores, the lee coast, where the waves and wind and current are very light. That makes for a lot of coral and thus fish. Most of the shops you would sign up with would drive you over to this area. But of course your diving time wold be limited. I do see cruisers on the 8:30 boats but I have no idea how they get there so early. I am convinced that the best diving that Roatan offers is in this western area. So you could dive MB and probably miss what is typical of Roatan, the sites that make Roatan so highly regarded as a dive destination. If you just signed up for the ship dive excursion you would probably end up being driven to the western area rather then MB. So I would urge you not to limit yourself to MB just because it is close. If you really want to dive under the cruise ships, try Grand Cayman. What you will find on the western shore of R are caves and swimthrus and a very high density of hard and soft corals, sponges, and fish. If you want a different experience close to MB see if you can find someone to take you to Cara a Cara for the sharks or out to the Cordelia banks off the airport for the largest field of horn coral in the hemisphere. But I don't know who would go out there.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

You are most welcome, Felicia

In addition to the advice I offered about easily finding even more diving information on this forum and the cruise critic reference for more suggestions on how cruise people access diving, I'd like to add another resource....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/

Though not a scuba person myself, I know dhauk and other TA posters who are divers have frequently mentioned this as a place one can get good diving references...

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
856 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

Good advice, especially checking out ScubaBoard, look in the Cruise Ship Forum. That way, you can find a special dive charter that will recognize advanced divers and show you the better stuff.

Just as a point of information, there is indeed a dive site that could theoretically be done as a shore dive from Mahogany Bay (if you could get your gear and tanks to that shoreline past the guards, shops and the chairlift). It is called Lita's Hole, who's namesake is a visitor who still comes often from California.

It is a perfect example of a pristine and spectacular dive site and it's ongoing coexistence with being situated at the Eastern side of the mouth of Mahogany Bay. This used to be called Dixon Cove before they cut down all of the Mahogany Trees.

Mentioned in this post
Mahogany Bay
Mahogany Bay
58 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
856 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Scuba Diving on Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

Lita's Hole, just off and in front of Mahogany Bay Cruise ship port, a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWnnGfHecyQ

Mentioned in this post
Mahogany Bay
Mahogany Bay
58 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras