We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

I visited West Bay Beach and loved this painting by this artist. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to go back before I left. She was at the far end of beach near the restrooms. She was of African descent and her little girl was her interpreter. She only sold paintings. Very vibrant like the paint is running down the canvas. I would like to get her information like Facebook or some way to buy a piece. Any help would be appreciated!

West Bay, Honduras
Level Contributor
111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

I'll see what I can do. I assume you mean in front of Fosters.

Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

I'm not sure what Fosters is. I got off the water taxi and walked to the left all the way to end of beach. There was a restaurant but can't remember the name. In that general area near the restaurant and the bathroom is where she and her daughter were. Thanks so much for trying!

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

Did you ever figure out if the painter in Roatan would ship paintings? I too found a painting at the craft market at the cruise port of a monkey that I loved. I went on my kayaking excursion and then didn't have time to get back and get it before the cruise ship left. The gentleman who painted it was only asking $15 and I hate that I didn't get back in time.

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
644 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

I think its Gladys! We bought four off of her last time there. We just mentioned what type of thing we were looking for and boom! Two days later when we strolled by...there they were! I can send you a picture if you want as her art has a recognizable style. They will take the canvas off the frame and roll it for ease of packing then just get it rehung at home!

Edited: 15 July 2014, 00:15
West End, Honduras
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

Gladys ?

bayislandsvoice.com/all-in-the-family-roatan…

Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

Yes!! Gladys is the wonderful artist! I hope the magazine responds. She is not on Facebook. If you have a more direct way to contact Gladys, please share! Thanks so much!

Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

Hello, are you saying you have multiple pieces and you want to sell them?

Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

Are you selling pieces by Gladys?

Roatán, Islas de la...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

Yes, that would be Gladys. She's not of African descent. She's Haitian. In the article, she said she was from Roatan. People have told me her paintings are actually copies of other people's works. But if you like them, she lives in West End but no longer sells paintings there, except occasionally in the roundabout where the pump house is.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: West Bay Beach - Looking for Painting/Artist

On Haiti, there were three primary groups of people of different heritages.

The "indigenous" people - those who were there before Columbus - are generally referred to as the Taino. They were almost wiped out, probably by European disease.

The Spanish colonIzed the island, then ceded it to France in 1697. The Europeans primarily used Haiti to grow sugar on huge plantations.

By far, the largest population group on Haiti were slaves brought from Africa. Most Roatanians whose families came to Roatan from Haiti are of African descent.

Roatan is very interesting in that there are long-time residents who descend from several different groups. There is not much left from the indigenous population - the Indians who lived there before the European invasion.

There are the Garifuna - descendants of slaves of mixed African-Taino heritage who successfully revolted... for a while... against their French slave holders - and when the British gained possession from the French and reconquered the Caribbean islands that were controlled by the freed slaves, they brought a group of the most African-looking ones to Roatan. Those are the Garifuna.

The British abolished slavery in 1837 and a number of ex-slave families, especially from Jamaica and the Caymans, came to Roatan. These folks can often tell you their heritage and will politely but firmly explain that they are not Garifuna.

There are also long-time families of European descent... some of them slave-holder families that also came to Roatan after slavery was abolished in the British colonies. There is even one family, the Jacksons, who are descended from an American... a Confederate soldier who left the US after the Civil War.

And then there are large numbers of "mainlanders" - folks of Hispanic and/or Native heritage coming more recently to Roatan as the need for workers to support the tourist industry.

So describing someone on the island as being of African descent may be technically relatively accurate (in fact, if we go back far enough, ALL humans are of African descent!), but most long-time Roatanian families will identify their family as coming from Jamaica or the Caymans or similar location, or they will identify as Garifuna. They don't identify as African-Honduran. But a person of European descent would typically, based on appearance, accurately describe them as having African heritage.