We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West End and West Bay

Vancouver
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
West End and West Bay

Going for a quick trip to Roatan from Belize this coming January. Can anyone tell me which is the preferred area to stay...West End or West Bay. Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West End and West Bay

of course my first question is "preferred for what?" You need to tell us what you are into: diving, sitting on the beach, soaking at a swim-up bar?

West Bay is the more up-scale. Newer fancier larger resorts strung along the island's best beach. Lots of pools and restaurants. Snorkeling right off the soft white beach.

West End is funkier, a town strung out along the waterside road. Lots of restaurants, bars, dive shops, shops, and small hotels. Not much beach and very few pools. WE is more of a singles' place while WB is more about families. WE has better access to the better dive sites.

If you are coming over from Belize either WE or WB would be a definite step up, whether for accommodations or diving or snorkeling.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West End and West Bay

Thanks so much. We have a home on Ambergris Caye in Belize and this year I really wanted to visit Roatan. There is now a flight directly from Belize City. We won't be diving as we have that in Belize. You have been a wonderful help. Many Thanks!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West End and West Bay

Coming to Roatan and not diving and/or snorkeling is like going to Paris NOT visiting the Eiffel Tower :-)

Roatan is a beautiful island, but your are missing out not seeing the Roatan beneath the water.

Just saying.....

Have a good trip!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West End and West Bay

We're just stopping on a 2nd cruise to Roatan with friends who haven't been, our first visit we enjoyed visiting West End and taking the water taxi to West Bay for a little time there. But I am confused on one thing -

Is Half Moon Bay to the east of WE? Or is WE in HMB? The description of HMB that someone gave me was not the WE we visited in 2009.

We plan to return for a couple weeks in the future as Roatan seems to be much like our other favorite spots.

An unrelated question, on this February cruise stop we plan to hire a driver to repeat our last visit to WE and WB, the driver leaves us when we get on the water taxi in WE and waits in WB until we head back to port. I know there are other less busy areas to see but we did enjoy WE and WB.

I hear Gumbalimba is $30pp and takes some time so that would be better when we're staying on Roatan (unless not recommended?). How much time would we use up if we stopped at the $10pp monkey park, and is that worth the stop?

Thanks fir your help!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West End and West Bay

good point, Silicus. Yes, and I hear that Indiana has diving too, if you count quarries. If you dive you will NOT want to miss the experience in Roatan. The same fish as AC, but Roatan has caves and tunnels and swim-thrus, with coral carpeting the floor. Soft coral forests and rivers of fish, according to my videos. On the other hand, if you dive in Roatan, you may regret where you bought that house. Of course people do buy vacation homes for other reasons than to be able to dive, but I never understood that myself.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
903 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West End and West Bay

Bluewater; Half Moon Bay makes up the northern half (maybe third) of what is collectively known as West End. When you drive into West End you will come to a T intersection. The water straight out from this intersection is Half Moon Bay. There is a long narrow spit of land with large homes on it (to the left) that marks the south limit of Half Moon Bay.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West End and West Bay

Bluewater, where is this $10 monkey park you mentioned?

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West End and West Bay

I don't know travelinmilkman, I was told it was an alternative to Gumbalimba and the price of admission is $10 vs $30 for a walking tour of Gumbalimba. I gather that the monkeys are caged at the monkey park but not sure. I'm thinking we'll just make time for Gumbalimba when we return for a longer stay.

So mcgosler, I remember having a drink on a restaurant/cafe balcony, buying Lencan pottery at one of the small shops, then walking the bay (toward WB) and buying a $2 beer then coming to an amazing cigar bar with a humidor filled with walls of cigars from Honduras, Nicarauga, Cuba and the DR. I don't remember the rest except we were walking a dirt road along the shore and divers were heading out on a boat.

I'm guessing we didn't see the spit of land you mentioned, for some reason I'm thinking we arrived at WE and walked to the left, is that south toward West Bay?

I'll search for better maps to help me understand the area. I want to return on this cruise stop to become more familiar as well.

Thanks!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West End and West Bay

I didn't say I wasn't going snorkeling. I can't dive because of a lung condition. And I do snorkel quite a bit in San Pedro. We are just making a quick trip over to check out Roatan and will probably make a more extended trip in the future.

Thanks for your advice......Looking forward to having fun.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: West End and West Bay

For us non-divers it's still paradise. You should thank us for giving you more room!