We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camo bag for dive gear

1 post
Save Topic
Camo bag for dive gear

So my wife and I are going down to roatan for some diving. And my gear bag is Canadian military camo. Now my wife says she doesn't want to bring it but I want to know what people think about it.

If any one has any experience about it that would be great

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camo bag for dive gear

think about bringing your dive gear, or think about the fact that it's camo? You won't need your own gear most places where you will be doing a lot of dives, since most places will provide free gear if you do 10 or more dives. You can see this on the web site of the shop. But most people who have spent loonies on their own gear do tend to bring it. Why have it if you don't use it. Personally I find it an unnecessary expense, since you can borrow excellent gear that is well maintained. And that's a lot to carry. I can carry fins and mask and a change of clothes in a small carry-0n.

About whether you should bring a camo bag? I don't know...is it in some way offensive? Do Canadian camo bags have more maple leaves?

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camo bag for dive gear

This is just silly, Who cares if your bag is Camo, Pink Or purple.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Camo bag for dive gear

I don't know, I think a purple bag would be ill advised. Camo or pink would be no big deal.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camo bag for dive gear

I have heard (though I can not put my finger on where I heard) that in certain countries camo clothing, etc. is a no-no (maybe due to the connotations it invokes). This is perhaps what the poster is referring to.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
584 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camo bag for dive gear

Wow. Very strange thread.

Where I live, girls where camo clothes to school.

If it was in the US, a military bag would probably get you a free beer, due to the respect it invokes. I see no problem at all in Roatan.

Dallas, TX USA
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camo bag for dive gear

I, like Glenbobboy, have read that 'military-like' clothing shouldn't be worn in some countries, including Honduras. Probably depends on where you go in the countries. I haven't seen any tourist wearing camo on Roatan that looked remotely connected with the military. Don't think I have read anything about camo type gear.

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camo bag for dive gear

I would not go into Coxen Hole wearing full camo, boots, and all but come on, A gear bag?? Who cares. I never worry about wearing camo shorts into town as I doubt wearing them along with my tevas and a basic shirt , along with my pasty white skin will have anyone confusing me with Honduran military or police.

Mentioned in this post
Coxen Hole
Coxen Hole
Roatan, Honduras
8. Re: Camo bag for dive gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:17