We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadians and Money

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
946 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Canadians and Money

Just wondering what some of you Canadians do in regards to currency when going to Roatan. Do you take US, withdraw from ATM's or both? Are there Money Exhange facilities there? The exchange to US is terrible right now and the local currency is virtually impossible to get here.

Does anyone know what the ATM withdraw fee is, or are some machines better than others in that regard?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
871 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians and Money

I just checked back on my travel blog and saw that I had posted that I got an exchange rate of 18.5 lempiras per Canadian dollar which included the ATM fees, in February of 2012. The are ATM's scattered around, a couple in both West End and West Bay, as well as several in French Harbour. I have used ATM's in two of the French Harbour banks and have been happy with their exchange rates. The few times that I used West End ATM's, I have to say that I never checked to see what rate I ended up with. We always travel with US dollars and fall back on the ATM's as we start to run low. I would not come to Roatan with Canadian dollars with hopes of local exchange.

Yukon
Level Contributor
174 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians and Money

We did the same...took US dollars with us and used the ATMs to get lempiras. I don't remember what the exchange rate was, but my bank(CIBC) adds 5 bucks to every foreign withdrawal from ATM. The only place I travel with Canadian dollars for exchange is Cuba! Everywhere else I start with USD.

Alberta
Level Contributor
946 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians and Money

Thanks for this good info. Will go with some US and use the ATM if needed.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians and Money

We go down with some US, debit and credit cards (more than one debit and one credit card). The ATM's in West End are fine didn't have any problem. Each Canadian bank has it's own fee structure for foreign withdrawl, some a percentage some a flat fee. If you want Lempiras they are available at the money exchange in Houston airport.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians and Money

you will need lempiras for a lot of your small purchases and for some of the restaurants. But if you are trying to find the cheapest lowest fee course, maximize your use of credit cards and ATM/s Some credit cards charge no foreign transaction fees. In the US Capital One has no foreign fee. You doubtless have some similar card in Canada. The ATM fees are a function of your bank. One of my ATM cards charges a flat $5, but we have a card from a credit union that charges no ATM fee. I carry both in case one doesn't work.

Most major expenditures (assuming you are not at an AI) will be quoted in $US. Resorts and diving are all quoted in $US, although credit card charges are processed in lempiras, as you would expect. It amazes me that the looney is not accepted in Roatan, since most visitors are most likely Canadian.

What you DON"T want to do is to get lempiras at a money changer outside Honduras. You can get all the lempiras you want the second you clear customs. At last count there were 47 dozen ATM's at the airport.

Alberta
Level Contributor
946 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians and Money

47 dozen.....lol!

My bank charges $3 per ATM withdrawl outside of Canada which is no biggee. However, for example I was just in Mexico and made some ATM's withdrawls. In addition to my own bank fee of $3, the ATM had it's own fee. One machine was 90 pesos, and another down the street was 30 pesos, so that's what I was sort of wondering. It doesn't really matter much, but I do take that into consideration.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadians and Money

There has been a Major problem with ATM's as well Credit card fraud on the Island recently, Make sure to check and double check statements. The banks have even sent people from the mainland to look into the atm issue. Also, you will not need lempiras for anything, US dollars are accepted virtually everywhere on the Island a visitor may be, most often if you pay in US you will receive Lempiras as change

carp, on
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadians and Money

Funny that Honduran bills are printed by Canadian Banknote Company but you can't buy them in Canada, That's why the 20L bill is polymer, They printed them for Honduras before making the new Canadian bills.

Tried going thru their recycle bins but no luck,

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadians and Money

mindy2, what bank do you use?

Alberta
Level Contributor
946 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadians and Money

TDCanada Trust and Scotia. I have a US account so easy enough to take those funds. Often though I find fairly decent exchange when using ATMs rather than spending my US money when the exchange is not that great.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan