We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

Smithville...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

We'll be visiting Roatan mid-February, staying in West Bay and we're planning to do a trip to Pigeon Cay, probably through Paya Bay Resort since they seem to have the best rate. Michelle from PBR recommended renting a car to get there but I was wondering what might be the cost of a taxi as an alternative to the hassle of renting a car. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Less than four weeks, woo-hooo!

Mentioned in this post
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Paya Bay Resort
Paya Bay Resort
416 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

Paya Bay Resort is wonderful, we had lunch there last year on the open terrace! A million dollar view, great resort, awesome food and very friendly people!

The opinion on this board is leaning towards that it makes more sense to hire a driver for the day, due to safety concerns and your liability in case of even the smallest mishap.

You can probably hire a taxi or driver with a minibus for $80 to $100 a day. A decent rental for a car is $50 to $60/day with everything plus gas. This way you don't have to worry about the narrow winding roads, driving over a chicken or worse. Plus you get a bit of the local flavor having your personal guide. Well worth the extra $ in my opinion, of course.

Have a great trip!

We will go back in March and we will not rent a car, like we did last year, we will hire a driver for the day if we want to go for a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Paya Bay Resort
Paya Bay Resort
416 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

when I was out at PB last May, a slow month, it seemed there was always a taxi sitting around. Suggesting that it would be possible to get a taxi back to WB if you took a taxi out there. Renting a car would be cheaper, if that's your goal, and the drive out is really not that bad. The main road is in decent shape, not narrow or winding, quite scenic in places, but occasionally slow. The last 5 miles or so from Oak Ridge to PB is gravel, but well graded. But I would suggest a taxi and then arrange to have a taxi there when you return. That way you could enjoy the drive and the driver.

Paya bay does not have its own boats. For the Pigeon Key run they use the bigger boat from Marble Hill Farms, a neighbor to the west. If you inquire at MHF about the trip cost,they will refer you to PB. The Pigeon trip is fabulous, with a tasty lunch on the lovely little beach. On the way back the boat will probably stop for beers at La Sirena restaurant on Camp bay, and you could save a little time by having a taxi meet you there instead of returning all the way to PB. The folks at PB are great, and they can arrange anything for you, if you just ask. So take a taxi out and have PB arrange to have one meet you at LaSirena. If the wind is up, you can enjoy attaching the kite boarders while you have your beers. I think that taking a taxi back to WB would be a lot more relaxing than driving yourself in island rush hour. Im sure PB could tell you what a taxi would cost.

I would not suggest hiring a driver for the day, since he'll just be sitting around for the 5 or so hours that you will be on the boat. And it should be easy to arrange for a taxi. If the taxi is late you can just sit around at La Sirena or the deck at PB.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 16:07
Mentioned in this post
Marble Hill Farms
Marble Hill Farms
119 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Smithville...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

Thanks for the advice!

Also wanted to say thanks dhauk, your thread about Pigeon Cay is how I found out about it, I'm really looking forward to it!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
113 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

Loving your posts, thank you!

We, too, are wondering about transportation from West End (specifically). I have emailed PB but have yet to hear back. In your experience, what was the cost of a taxi (there and back presumably)?

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
5. Re: Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 15:00
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

Great thread and very helpful. Thank you everyone! I offer the following scenario to the floor and hope that I am not hijacking the thread. As follows: My fiancée and I are already booked at Paya Bay. To say that we are excited is an understatement. We head there moments after landing. Now, we have 24 hours to burn on the back end of our trip before we fly out of Roatan. We'd like to get a quick shot of another part of the island - preferably close-to or en-route to the airport. We welcome suggestions. Thanks!

Bernard

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

Bernard, you two will LOVE Paya Bay. Incredible place for couples. And of course you will arrange to take the Pigeon Key trip while you are there. They don't offer it every day, just when there's enough passengers to justify it. That also means that Marble Hill Farms can't use the big boat for their diving that day, so it does take a little planning on their part.

Much as I love Paya Bay, I have to say that the diving and snorkeling there is not on a par with the western part or Roatan. Probably because Paya is more exposed to the prevailing winds and waves. So if you are into snorkeling (and you can't really go to the island without sampling what it offers under water) you should spend some time in West Bay or West End. These are way closer to the airport than Paya, an easy 45 minute drive.

Mentioned in this post
Marble Hill Farms
Marble Hill Farms
119 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

dhauk, thank you!

I will do my best to post a report.

B.

9. Re: Getting from West Bay to Paya Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:17