We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving with no previous experience?

Peterborough, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Diving with no previous experience?

My dad & I will be at Infinity Bay for a week in Feb. Is there any way to try diving with no previous experience other than snorkelling . We would love to try it but want to be safe and not tie up our entire vacation.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving with no previous experience?

Most or all of the dive shops offer a program called "discover scuba" which will demonstrate the gear in the shallows or a pool and explain a little theory so you don't rush out and kill yourself. Just kidding, but actually not. Then they will take you out to maybe 25 feet , so you can get the experience and see if your ears can clear. This does take some time, several hours, and costs around $100. Or resorts may offer a "resort course" that's the same thing but often free, except then you have to pay to go out for the dive.

I generally discourage this, because it takes time and $, and instead you could be spending time and $ on your certification. But I realize that a lot of people just want to try it and they need to see whether they will have difficulty clearing their ears. If you can't clear your ears, you really can't dive. A shop or resort would probably appreciate knowing that you are coming, so they can arrange the instruction. Have fun. Remember that that heavy gear is weightless in the water.

See if you can get the cost of the course applied to getting the full "open water" certification, which takes about 3 days and $300. Because I know you are going to want to go ahead, and Roatan is the best and cheapest place to certify.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 22:39
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving with no previous experience?

Discover Scuba was a great option for my son and I in Belize years ago. I instantly fell in love and applied that class time to my Open Water Certification. My son dove with us 4 or 5 times and didn't continue with the certification. Worked great for both of us!

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
676 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving with no previous experience?

"Discover SCUBA" and "SCUBA Discovery" are recognized (name brand) programs that have training standards from recognized SCUBA certification agencies- by these names they would be PADI and SSI. There are others, but a "resort course" is a generic term applied to any similar experience where there are not necessarily any standard being adhered to. Shop informed!

Dhauk hits it on the head, go get certified- no better diving anywhere in the Caribbean than Roatan.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 23:49
Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving with no previous experience?

This one snuck by me, but I'll respond late. You can spend less vacation time in class and more time underwater if you do the classroom portion of certification at home and do the open water (diving) portion in Roatan. Talk to your local dive shop to see if they can do a "referral" where they teach the classroom portion (I think you can do it online, but I'm not a fan of online classes....most especially for something like diving) and then refer you to a diveshop in Roatan to do the diving portion.

DSDO

Joe

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving with no previous experience?

I'm a believer of Discover Scuba Dive (PADI calls it DSD). Yes, it's only one time and will not go for certification, but it gets your feet and is a great introduction to life under the sea. It's very safe and you WILL learn how to breathe, etc. If you have the time, then go for the whole certification course. But if you're not sure, a one time "experience of a lifetime" would be fun and eye-opening. If you like it AND have time, you can continue! There's never "too much" learning!

Have fun!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving with no previous experience?

I think a discover scuba or a resort course is a mixed bag as the level of instruction varies greatly. Personally I think a lot of the courses are rushed and these new "divers" are put in to potentially very dangerous situations. It is a money making thing for many resorts and dive shops.

That being said my youngest son who is know Jr. OW certified took a discover scuba course in Maui. This is after I dove with the instructor a couple of times and was confident he was going to get the training he needed. It was also a shore dive and not a boat dive which I think helps. The experience was wonderful - 2-3 hours of 1 on 1 in the pool before he was allowed in the ocean. The instructor as great and made my son a good diver from the get go. On the other hand I saw the opposite in Costa Rica. A large group was given minimal pool instruction and then taken out in to the ocean. 1 diver had issues and shot to the surface (worse thing you can do) others had a terrible scary time.

So the moral of the story. Pick your class very carefully. Don't do something you are not ready for. It is always better to get certified instead if that is an option.

B.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 16:24
Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving with no previous experience?

Booyakasha?

Double Amen to that. Before you pick a shop to learn from....check em out. If possible talk to others that they have trained. My advice.....worth not a lot.....don't pick someone who stresses how easy and how little time the training takes. As easy and safe diving has become over time....you're still learning to do something that puts your life and health at risk. Ya wanna learn how to do it well and safely

8. Re: Diving with no previous experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:21