We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

Hi,

I'm planning to take plane tickets from Europe to San Pedro Sula to continue to Roatan. Is the flight the best option to get to Roatan? Which companies operate this flight?

For the option bus + ferry, do you have recommendations? I have heard and read here that this can be a bit dangerous especially at night time and I'm quite worried now. Is there a bus to La Ceiba directly from the airport or do we have to go to San Pedro Sula city first?

I would be very thankful for the help!

Laura

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

The flight is the fastest option, best of anything is up to interpretation as many think cost is more important while other feel time is. Bus/ferry or plane are both great options each with positives and negatives

I am a bit confused as you ask about a bus to La Ceiba from San Pedro but then ask if it is direct or do you go through San Pedro.? I can say 100% the bus from San Pedro to La Ceiba goes through San Pedro . The bus to take is Hedman Alas and it does not do that route at night, cost and vacation time my be a factor but I would not let safety play a part in this decision.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

Thanks for your answer, KanM_13. It's good to know that bus+ferry is a safe option as well.

Sorry I wasn't very clear with my question about being obliged to go to San Pedro first - I meant to ask if it's necessary to go to the city center of San Pedro or is there a bus leaving from the airport, too. But I got the answer from Hedman Alas's web site. There is indeed a bus (3 per day) leaving to La Ceiba directly from the airport.

Does someone know if the bus and ferry tickets are easily aivalable just before the departure?

And for the prices - how much is the combo bus+ferry from San Pedro to La Ceiba?

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

You have the Hedman Alas website for their prices, Here is the site for the ferry and their schedule and prices http://www.roatanferry.com/index.html

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

as the online schedule will show you some of the buses leave directly from the airport, others leave only from the bus station in san pedro sula. the bus and ferry will be about $55. the taxi from the la ceiba bus station to the ferry about $10 more.

flying costs about $110 each way and takes 25 mins. the bus, taxi, ferry route will take approx. 5 hours to save you $45.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

Ok, this clarifies things.

I'm still wondering whether there are boats from one island to another on the Bay islands, like from Roatan to Utila?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

there are boats but they don't have a regular schedule. there is a Facebook page called utila buy and sell, boat captains advertise trips they're making. they usually charge around $55. there are also numerous flights each week between roatan and utila, they are around $80 each and can be booked through alice hill at world wide travel on utila.

USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

We just got back. We flew TACA between San Pedro Sula and Roatan - it cost about $160 RT. It's a prop plane and the airline felt very professional, safe and well run. Keep in mind that some of the SAP to RT flights are not direct flights. Make sure you find one of the direct flights.

8. Re: How to get to Roatan from San Pedro Sula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Roatan