We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

There was a recent article in the NYTimes travel section raising issues about security on Roatan. I have read the general Personal Safety forum section which seems to cover the topic quite sensibly and the suggestions are common sense practices that we generally follow.

But I am wondering if anyone who has been to Roatan this winter would care to comment on their feelings while there about personal safety. We plan to stay at Infinity Bay for snorkeling and hope to walk to nearby restaurants for dinners. I also like to take walks during the day along the beach. Would someone care to comment on the security around Infinity Bay and walking along the beach in that area?

Thanks!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

I felt very safe in Roatan and at IB. And I had my wife and 6 year old son with us. Common sense at night and during day but we walked at night quite a bit and had no issues.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

You should be fine sticking to the area around IB. I would not suggest anyone do the walk from West Bay to West End along the water at night or alone.

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

just returned and feel very safe doing the walks from fosters area down to grand roatan grill nightly,,,,, never a problem in the daylight ......

take a flashlight , so you don't trip on crabs or boat tie ups, most if not all of the resorts have beach security day and night,,, as others have said safe place to be in that area , get down past las rocos and the signage speaks volumes!!!!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
459 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

I travel as a single woman to IB and feel safer there than many other locations in the Caribbean.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

Zoey, The signage has been taken down in many places

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

The farthest we've walked is Bite on the Beach...and we don't really walk too late, probably 9 at latest. After that we stay pretty close to IB, Vintage Pearl, Thirsty Turtle, or somewhere near there. Its very safe in that area and plenty of places to eat, drink.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

Could you post a link to the article?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

Here is the link to the article,

nytimes.com/2014/…

Of course newspaper article and internet news have to be taken with a grain of salt. There are murders and robberies in every country of the world and the media tends to hype things in a sense that it compresses a few incidents to make it sound like much.

I find the people of Roatan extremely friendly (even if they don't profit from you), but there are bad apples everywhere...

Like others here, I feel total safe in Roatan, with common sense switched to 'on'.

Have a good trip.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

Thanks for posting. 2 years ago a mother and her young adult son were murdered by a crazy neighbor a few blocks from where I teach in a small rural town - I know what you mean.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: NYTimes article on safety in Roatan

If you read the article and know those that have been quoted you will know it is not media hype but rather very well informed folks wanting to get a handle on the situation , suggesting it is hype is just not appropriate,