We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taca - your thoughts?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
989 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Taca - your thoughts?

Have you flown this airlines before?

We are looking at end of June travel, flying out of San Francisco. Return flight there is about a 5 hour layover in San Salvador. I'm sure it's a small airport, 5 hours there?

We could fly United with connection in Houston but a few hundred dollars more pp.

We do fly to other parts of the Caribbean but have always flown US airlines.

I'm just not a relaxed type passenger so would like your thoughts.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
989 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

Also to add..... Looking at Bananarama, Los Rocas and Coconut Tree Cabins.

Have you stayed? I'm really interested in Bananarama and Los Rocas from what I have read here.

Thanks!

Indiana
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

We flew taca to Nicaraugua and I thought it was a very nice flight. I know they used to have a bit of a bad reputation, but I thought they were as good or better than most. As far as United, they just informed us that the flight we had booked a few months ago has now changed, and they have shorted us a day of our vacation in Roatan. Fortunately the home owner we rented from is going to refund our money for the final day. So from my point of view at the moment, I'd fly Taca over United.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
676 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

TACA has sharpened their baggage handling due to stiff competition from US carriers. They always provided a great in-flight service, but they used-to regularly delay bags, but no longer a problem. It is similar to a short distance European airline cabin service.

The Salvador airport is their hub, and yes, it is small, but you'll be in the transit lounge as your final is Honduras.

I would use TACA again anytime, but I always balance out the savings against spending so much additional time in transit.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
989 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

My final would be SFO as the long layover is on return flight. What to do with so much time? Hmmm....

Thank you for your response.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

TACA is great as is SAL. They get you on the beach in Roatan before lunch. But I'm surprised about the layover in SAL. You could probably arrange a later departure out of Roatan and spend less time in SAL. I fly them out if SFO every time I go to RTB. I think that TACA is very pro.

Yes to coconut Tree and banana. No to Rocas.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 06:27
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

Las Rocas, Bananarama, and Coconut Tree are all great little spots. All are cabana style, on or almost on the beach....if you are looking at Coconut Tree add Fosters West Bay into the mix as well. Between the ones you really like, Bananarama would be more "in the action" while Las Rocas would be a bit quieter.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

We had a good experience a few years ago flying Guatemala City to Roatán and back with Taca, routed with a (very short) layover in San Salvador. I'll be on Roatán in mid June, too late to recommend and likely too early to cross paths. Our other trips to Roatán we've rented in Sandy Bay or stayed much further east; this will be our 1st trip staying in West Endl.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
989 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

Thanks for all the info.

Good to know about TACA and makes me feel better.

Curious as to no on Las Rocas. Looks decent and reviews ok. Location? This property is the easiest as if we want to do a package deal with Expedia or ...., it's available where other properties are not.

Thanks again.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

DHauk can elaborate for you, but I think he stayed there in the past & found it not to his liking. ( too hot rooms/ no air co maybe? )

I think its sweet & charming & in a super location...you get the best of both worlds...you have 1 minute access to West Bay Beach, and have a quiet property....it may not be "on" the beach but its on the water( built on the iron-shore at the end of WBB ) and as mentioned a one minute walk to the sands of WBB. The cabanas are basically the same as the ones at Bananarama( which we also love )...Bananarama is smack dab in the middle of WBB & can get quite busy...but at the end of June it shouldn't be too bad...depends on what you are looking for.

:)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
989 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taca - your thoughts?

dhauk ..... curious, why no to Rocas?

It's in our top 3 and the price is good.

Your thoughts?

Get answers to your questions about Roatan