We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

Are the local vendors/trucks selling produce, and hopefully fish, there on certain days or times? Are they located in a particular area?

I read somewhere that the Hydroponic lettuce and produce was also available to purchase the same way-is that still true?

I have searched the forums but can not find anything up to date on this.

Thanks for any help. 3 Weeks to go!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
876 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

Found that the fruit/vege trucks were not parked on the West End street as frequently as they were in some past years, but there are a couple of permanent stalls, one of which is stocked straight from one of the regular trucks, so most of the vege/produce is readily available. There is a guy selling fish out of a couple of coolers, who sits by the curb quite regularly. He's usually sitting near the pathway that leads to the Lighthouse restaurant. We didn't buy from him, so I cannot comment on quality.

Blue Harbour doesn't sell their lettuce from a truck, but you often see them in town delivering to the restaurants. I'm not sure if any of the corner stores sell their products. We always bought their lettuce from the grocery stores in Coxen Hole. I think their picking days are Mon, Wed, Fri.

United States
Level Contributor
549 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

We bought fruit and produce from a from 2 different local stands. 1 was on the corner where the turn around is located, and the other was a little further down, in town. I saw one man selling lobster out of a cooler, but didint buy any. I dont think you will have a problem finding fruits and vegis.

Montréal
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

Truck vendors may be convenient sometimes but for 25 Lempiras (about 1.25 Canadian dollar) you can take a collectivos from West End to Eldon's supermarket or Plaza Mar supermarket (Coxen hole). Eldon's as a much better selection but a bit more pricy.

Apart from the curb side guy who sits all day on his cooler filled with lobster, we didnt see any other seafood vendors.

I actually have a picture of a truck vendor of the west end taken in February 2014 to give you an idea if you need.

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

Thanks all. Yes I realize I can buy produce and all else at Eldon's and Plaza Mar. But I am kind of a" buy local" type of shopper whenever possible.

Love the idea of getting produce just like at a farmers market! If I cant grow it myself that is how I do it at home. Cant imagine anything better so hope I can in Roatan too.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

Things have changed in West End regarding the produce trucks. They used to park right along the main drag... but since it is paved, it has also become a no parking zone - including the stub out to the main highway. Big change... with the reconstruction also of the roundabout, I don't know if there is anyplace along there that the trucks can stay. The stands may be a direct response to this... don't know that, but it makes sense.

We have a veggie truck that comes through our rental area in Sandy Bay every so often... Fish guy also shows up a couple times a week...

As to buying local... vegetable production on the island is limited by variety and season, so I never got the impression that the trucks were selling home-grown... I suspect they are buying wholesale and selling retail out of the truck - so not much difference from the stores. I will say that the stores are very unreliable about having variety. We've been in Eldon's twice when they didn't have a decent banana in the place, for example.

Check out my post "Another Option For Groceries" for comments on produce...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

Found my answer. Thanks Mr Idiot for keeping us up to date.!

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

Burst my idealistic bubble Sir I! Lol!

I hope we have a veggie truck and fish guy in our neighborhood too!

8. Re: Fruit, vegetable and Fish Trucks in West End?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:17