We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power Outages and preparations...

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Power Outages and preparations...

I laughed the first time I saw the "Big Bag-0 Tea Candles" our hosts have in the rental... how likely are we to need a hundred little candles?

Well... pretty likely. It struck me that I should write this thread... as we watched a movie by battery on a laptop and enjoyed our dinners by tea candlelight.

The power has gone out in our neighborhood three times today. We're averaging an outage every other day or so. Usually they are relatively short... one was a half hour, another an hour... but some are in the 2-5 hour range. We don't bother to set the clock alarms in the bedrooms or the clock on the microwave...

So... be sure to bring a flashlight or three and carry one if you go out to dinner. Having had to traverse West End once in a power outage in total darkness... we try to remember. Even for something as simple as getting up a staircase or to get a key into a lock - flashlight is a no brainer.

Also I think somebody on another thread mentioned tea candles. They are small and neat and easy to light... and I think it is legal to put a couple packs of matches or a butane lighter in your checked luggage - somebody check me on that...

We have one more gizmo we feel good about. We have a surge protector that plugs into a regular socket. It has three regular three-prong sockets and two usb charging sockets. We plug it in one spot and make a "charging station" for all things electronic. It won't charge things during a power outage... but if there is a power surge at the beginning or end of an outage, we feel better about having some protection between the irregular island power and our electronics.

One more issue for power outages... our friend has had rude awakenings 2 nights out of 5... he uses a CPAP machine for breathing while sleeping - and the power outages, of course, shut it down... None of the three guests we've had with CPAPs has battery backup.

Ditto for folks who depend on a portable oxygen compressor. Most of them have inboard batteries, but they are often good for only and hour or two. Good idea to always have the unit charged up if you are traveling in developing countries.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

Thanks for much for the info! We're headed there at the end of the month and I didn't realize the frequency of the outages. We will now be packing a surge protector, flashlights and candles.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

Power issues depend upon where you stay on Roatan and the Bay Islands. Some places are not even hooked-up to "Island Power" (RECO), they run on their own generators. Other places have quick cut-overs to their own generators if RECO goes down.

It's all in the picking. Or, you can bring tea candles.

They are kind-of fun, too.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

We take our own fire alarms! ( we know they work...)

Think tea-candles > wooden cabanas....

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

Yep - they definitely occur frequently - and it's almost a given during a storm. We have a generator at our place, but many places don't have one - this is an excellent suggestion!

Moses Lake...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

A little romance in your soul. Love my little tea lights. Hahaha glad you enjoy them Idiots. Wind up flash lights are great too. Surprised the power has been going off so often, it was doing so well for a while. I think when we were there in Sept it only went off once for an hour. I will need to remember to take a surge protector down next time. Great idea. Would love to see what yours looks like.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

ask and ye shall conceive!

amazon.com/Belkin-BZ103050vTVL-outlet-Protec…

a tad large for traveling really light - but I take it anywhere I've go my laptop... and the USB makes juicing up my mp3 player handy as well... the thing looks like an octopus with 3 laptop plugs and a tablet and a mp3 plugged in the USB ports.

(OK... why would two people need 3 laptops and a tablet? Reasonable question... we use one large laptop as our traveling dvd player. Our place has cable and a tv, but we like to use these extended travels to catch up on tv series... like binging on whole seasons of Longmire, Copper, Walking Dead, Downton Abbey, Madmen, etc. These are recorded in a compressed mode and requires a special program to replay them. And, of course, when we sit down after dinner in the dark with our post-diner beverage and turn on the series of episodes... we are both on our regular laptops doing "stuff" - I edit a lot of photos for my blogs and She plays a lot of games. And the Kindle Fire is just for fun - books and games... So, yeah - we did have one half of a carryon just full of electronica...)

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

""We take our own fire alarms! ( we know they work...)""

That is a great idea. I know certain ones will actually trip the alarms for nuclear materials screening on passenger railroad trains and such- (as will post medical treatment residual isotope therapy)

.... no problems encountered in airline baggage?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

None so far, we usually take two, on all five trips to Roatan plus other locales....( hubby is a "safety Sam" lol ).

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

OK Idiot He, you slipped up there and let the cat out of the bag. You have not admitted to keeping a blog for years, and I used to so enjoy reading them. Fess up, where is it?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Power Outages and preparations...

ah, mcgosler... we recently returned from a month in East Africa... a pretty overwhelming experience... then just had enough time to put affairs in order before returning to Roatan... So all my current blogs are regarding Africa. I've completed episode 20... and anticipate at least five more episodes... and the number of photos is higher - up to 40 per episode. Each photo is lovingly corrected in GIMP... sometimes an hour per photo...

Idiot She has a new, simple underwater camera, so at some point we'll have some underwater snorkeling shots to satisfy the home crowd and maybe entice some TA readers... but since we've had guests for over a week... progress on Africa is slow.

The series is entitled Idiots Bahati y Mjinga... roughly "Idiots with the luck of fools!" we are so aware that our best travel experiences now are almost always the ones that happen that we haven't planned... even sometimes in spite of our planning... BTW - the original name was Idiots Bahati Bubu... "Dumb Lucky Idiots"... until a Kenyan explained to me that Google Translator was accurate, but had sent me astray... because this kind of dumb is "Lucky Idiots who cannot speak." As poetic as that is - I have never been described as being at a loss for words!

Risking TA guidelines, I'll link to one blog entry from Africa with some great pictures just to let you know what I've been doing... can't see that the moderators can be upset with my hijacking my own thread... and I'm a pretty active contributor on the Tanzania and Kenya forums as well... so we'll try it!

If you are short of time, ignore the words and all the other photos and scroll down to the last photo... sometimes I see it and say "Wow - great photo!" - forgetting that I took it!

perennialnursery.com/forums/viewtopic.php…