We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Cup matches on Roatan

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
World Cup matches on Roatan

Hello,

I'll be on Roatan for a little over week in late June/early July. I'm just wondering if there will be any good spots people will be watching World Cup matches so I can cheer my teams on with a fun group. Do people get excited about the World Cup on the island?

Thanks for your help,

Derek

Edit: I'll be staying in West End for the first 3-4 days of the trip while I get certified. After that, I don't yet know if I'll stay in the area or move around.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 21:32
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World Cup matches on Roatan

Derek, you're not serious, right? Roatan is in Honduras, which is in central America, which (not being in the USA or Canada) is soccer crazy, or futbol loco, like the rest of the known world. So there will be lots of coverage of all the games, even were it not for the fact that Honduras is IN the world cup. How long it will remain in contention is another matter. They are in a group with France, Switzerland, and Ecuador. And their last game in the group is June 25, so for sure the madness will continue until then. Of course if they advance, things will get even crazier. Usually, as you know, the teams are seeded to assure that the favored teams will advance, but in soccer anything can happen. In the interest of good foreign relations, better learn to root for Honduras.

There are several sports bars in WE that certainly will cover the games on large screen. If Honduras is playing there is probably little chance of watching any other game, unless Sundowners is still televising hockey matches then. If you move out of West End, you might not be assured of tv reception. If you are young and male and a diver, you will probably just want to stay in West End.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
136 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Cup matches on Roatan

Thanks. I was hoping for an answer like that. With the expat population of Roatan being so large (as far as I can tell from the internet), I wanted to approach the question with apprehension. I wasn't sure if Roatan would be quite so futbol loco as the mainland, as it were.

I will be there after the 25th, so if Honduras advances, of course I will be rooting for them, as well as the US and Colombia.

Thanks again.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 23:59
3. Re: World Cup matches on Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Roatan