We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
"Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

cruiselawnews.com/2014/…

This may get deleted (probably will) - but I post this not only out of sadness to see this happening to this beautiful island, but for those that may have booked a tour with this company.

I personally feel that Roatan is bring made an example of - Mexico? Nassau Bahamas? St. Lucia and so many more have horrible crimes happen as well, but Roatan seems to really be taking a hit.

I do pray that the new Mayor steps up and does something quickly, otherwise many on the island will suffer for the deeds of a terrible few.

Michigan
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

It's all so sad...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

cruiselawnews.com/2014/…

One can only hope if they are catching some of these bad apples it will help the situation. For what its worth, we'll still visit Roatan. ( I'm assuming the above fellow & co is the same group that robbed the family with two teen sons on the way to Palm beach? ).

ps read fast, sure to be deleted....

Edited: 15 April 2014, 18:02
I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

Ahh, ya beat me to it in your edit Fathie.

Indeed if they are catching the correct bad guys and there are consequences, perhaps the rotten apples will think twice. This is good news!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

Everything is "alleged" of course...innocent until proven guilty...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

Thanks for the link... no reason for this to be removed - it is clearly travel related, not about the specifics of crime that TA considers inappropriate for a family-friendly forum.

I'm always interested to read what Mr. Walker has to say - but I also take it with a grain of salt. He freely mixes facts and rumors with an alarmist kind of opinion set that generates a lot of excitement - and hits for his website...

but seriously - who is "Cruising Excursions" and does the termination of services really have anything to do with security... or is it just another company making business decisions based on profit motives completely separate from Roatan tourism and safety? Is this 1% of the tourism on the island?

and Mr. Walker blithely states "Roatan is in crisis mode..." Well... they arrested a guy for a particularly nasty crime and the cruise ships were back in port 3 days after the incident... I think 3 ships changed plans until the situation was clarified...

and they brought in some mainland army personnel to help with the search for the criminal and provide some visible security presence in Coxen Hole. We drove through Coxen Hole and Flowers Bay 3 days after the shooting and saw a few extra security people on the street - and lots of tourists walking from the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas at the pier... I'm not sure what "crisis mode" would look like.

Roatan seems committed to being a cruise ship destination... and they don't want bad press... but I think we'll want to have a lot broader range of information and opinions that what we are likely to get from Mr. Walker, who apparently makes his living representing people against the cruise lines...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

I agree idiots, I think Mr Walker is an "alarmist" myself....but, it would appear this young fellow has indeed been detained for the moment.

It remains to be seen if he is actually "guilty". A horrible thing if he is not, if he is, Roatan's a bit safer.

Either way, a lot going on at the moment.

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

I agree about Mr. Walker - indeed!! All of his posts are of an alarmist nature...it intrigued me so I read some of his past posts (not being a cruiser I never had heard of him) - and he speaks of child molestation on a Disney Cruise, armed robberies in Nassau Bahamas, murder in St. Kitts - etc. etc.

I assume this guy makes a living suing the cruise lines for the passengers...I HATE that kind of person

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

yup... and I was writing while the other posts came up, so I was only referring to the first link...

I think the 20 year old is an interesting addition to the story, as that was the one truly concerning attack on tourists... on the Palm Beach access road near Media Luna... it would be a relief if the facts prove out and it was one disturbed kid from the property taking advantage of visitors - the kind of problem that can be cleared up...

again, I hope this won't be expunged - I think people finding the reviews of the attack on the Palm Beach reviews should also find this reference to an apprehension of a suspect... kind of puts the incident into perspective...

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

While I appreciate that he puts the information out there. He is very much biased against the cruise lines. If you read most of his stories you'd get the impression that he'd like to see an end to the whole industry.

Cutting off his nose to spite his face, as it seems that his livelihood is from suing said industry.

I wonder if this touring company stopping it's tours will open up an opportunity for a local to start tours of the same kind?

As for the kid of the Palm Beach owner being a ringleader of a gang, WOW. If it's true, it's a bad case of a rich kid hating his parents and wanting to punish them.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Crusing Excursions" stopping all tours

Alarmist or not..if his posts prove true.. is that not a good thing? I though the idea here was to get the info out. The individual has to if they want to believe it or not.

Maybe I am missing something, politics of any kind are not so much my bag. :0)